F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i not starting. No fuel priming and no spark.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i not starting. No fuel priming and no spark.

So I went over to a friends finally after him constantly begging to take a look at his bike. Needless to say he didn't know what he was doing and tore the thing all the way down to the carbs. I guess he was riding it 6 months ago and it dies on him while he was idling. I guess he was backing it up and it just shut off. Couldn't get it started since that day.

I guess the fuel pump wasn't priming that day either. So I take a look at it the first time yesterday and it's totally different from what I'm used to on my F3. Lots of electrical you have to worry about.

What I've figured out is that there is no spark (took a plug out and grounded it and nothing) and no fuel since the fuel pump is not even priming. It cranks over it just doesn't have fuel or spark at all.

Where should I look first. Some people were saying Bank Angle Sensor or Engine Stop Relay. Maybe the Fuel Cut Relay as well? The Headlights and signals work fine so i don't think its a faulty ground. I just wanna get this guys bike up since I know how it is to not be able to ride. Especially with him not even being able to work on it lol. I did notice a couple relays dangling by the headlight. Maybe one was the Bank Angle?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest getting a service manual if you don't already have one.The bank angle sensor is in between the headlights if it is disconnected or not mounted correctly bike won't start.Start there and see what happens.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:23 PM

Yeah I got one from a resource on here it's just that I'm not used to all these electronics. My bike is pretty simple. This bike is a little more complicated. I'll start with that then post out what I find in the next few days.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wire up the pump to the battery and see if it works. If so then you have a safety switch prob. (Kill switch, BAS, kickstand switch). The lack of spark could be caused by a weak battery, bad coils, faulty regulator/rectifier, a bad connection (either harness plugs, grounds, or battery connections)

Old 12-01-2009, 09:03 AM
July 2010 ROTM

its the tip sensor!! or the bank angle sensor, whatever its called. mine did the exact same thing. just unplug it, its a 3 pronged connector at the top of the headlights, then jump the 2 outside wires together. the bike will act like nothing ever happened after you do that. -well, if thats the problem. pm me if you need more instructions with that, or better ones.