F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i not started in 4 years....concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i not started in 4 years....concerns

I am about to buy a 2004 F4i (2400 miles) off a friend who parked it in the garage back in 2008. He deployed and then had a family when he came back so the bike continued to sit. The good news is that he pulled the battery. The bad news is that it had gas in the tank. How much work should I expect to get her roadworthy again? I am expecting new tires, cleaning the old gas and changing all fluids. Since this bike is injected I assume that the gas probably just sat in the fuel pump so that may also need to be replaced.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:02 AM

well, i'll tell you what mine needed and it sat for at least 6 years.
rust was all in the gas tank, the fuel pump was bad as well. so i tried the yamalube chemicals and that didnt work too well considering how much rust.
got muriatic acid for pools and baking soda, then rubbing alcohol, not really specific but it took all that, which ate my freaking fuel cap..
battery you probably want to replace anyways if it sat but still its 4+ years old.
the fuel pressure regulator needed to be replaced as well because it flooded one of my cylinders.
breakdown!
spark plugs, oil, antifreeze, battery, fuel pressure regulator, probably the fuel filter in the tank on the pump assembly. yeah, and tires
you may need to replace the fuel pump which is the most expensive as long as the tank is salvageable.
btw mine is running like a champ after sitting 6 years 24,000 with all of the above, i did run sea foam through the tank but i didn't really need to.
nor did i need to change the plugs but i ran seafoam through he throttle bodies too, alot of seafoam everywhere

EDIT: after reading stlcbr600f4_newb's post i forgot a crap ton of mine, your chain and sprockets are probably rusted so
its a bit of work and money but dump the fuel out and add new stuff dont use premium or any other crap
the bike runs on 87 or 86 whatever the lowest is so use that, i also put some motul oil cleaner in mine with new oil, then drained and put in synthetic.

Last edited by RudyGT; 12-18-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:02 AM

check the tires for dry rot... if there are no cracks set pressure ..check oil level ,coolant open the gas tank check for rust, ... check airfilter.. maybe a squirt of throttle body cleaner...

add stable to the gas before you start all this ...
pull the fuel line off the manifold set immediate to bucket or gas can... prime the fuel pump force the gas in the lines out... start your bike.... instead of stable you could add fuel injectore cleaner... maybe manually rotate the engine crank at the crank bolt like you would be checking clearances...

oil good collant good gas goo engine rotates freely test fire get to temp and pay attention to the rpms help verify that you have no vacuum leaks from rotten vac hoses...get to temp change the oil...

check drain pan for debri brass shavings .....

you should know of any mechanical problem just sitting around then a slow roll around feel is out ......LUBE the CHAIN cycle through all the gears.. test the brakes

that's personally what i would do... but i may be a little wrong in some cases i am a newer rider