CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Few Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Location: Granger, Indiana (Next to South Bend and Notre Dame)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few Concerns

I just got done working on my bike today, I did a oil change, spark plugs, manual cct install, and check my air filter. My first concern was when we pulled out the spark plugs they all seemed to have oil on them but I think the guy before tightened them too tight, but is this a big problem? Second my air filter was drenched in gas. Lastly I think, not sure, but I think I smelt a little gas in my oil, but I'm not tottaly possitive. I also now need a new air filter, what kind should I get?

Old 01-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Default RE: Few Concerns

Thats a big question i've always wondered what would be a good kind from a riders prospective...they could just be all the same but im not quite sure.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:17 PM

When I get my bike all put back together I'll post some more pictures of it, and maybe video showing off it's D&D exaust.Just need to buy a few parts and get some free time in order to do so but I'm not in too much of a hurry since the roads are snow covered at the moment. [X(]

Old 01-27-2008, 09:07 PM

K&N is a must have!!!!! adds hp and better breathing for the motor plus you can clean aK&N so you dont have to buy new. im pretty sure lots of people will +1 on that one as for the gas in the oil i think that would be rings. You rings might be bad or getting bad wich would make you loose compression or maby dumping to much fuel in the chambers wich would be a fuel pum pr carb problem but im not sure on that so dont hold that to me. Better still do you think maby you have a leak in one of the hoses going to the carbs maby its leaking into the filter thats a awsome question and im stumped if you figure it out let us know for future refrance

Old 01-28-2008, 09:51 AM

Is this a good price for a K&N? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-28-2008, 10:44 AM

yeah thats a real good price for a K&N but from what i understand for our bikes its best to use a paper filter. i use paper but can not tell you K&N will be better or worse just what i read on here.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 AM

K&Ns are only beneficial if you have had a signifigant amount of engine hop-ups done (2mm over,good headwork,cams).If you have all 3 listed done,a K&N will help.Otherwise,paper is best.EMGO sells them for 25 bucks,and they are close enough to OEM.I learned this the hard way:time,energy,work and wallet.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:17 PM

My old air filter is odd its like a foam filter with a mesh screen, but should I be worried buying a paper filter if I end up still getting a little gas in my airbox?

Old 01-28-2008, 12:29 PM

K&N is good even without hop ups, but while letting in mor air, it does let in more dirt. Plenty of testing out there that shows that. As far as I'm concerned, with the recommended oil change and detergent gas we use today, not really a big deal.

As far as the plugs go, where was the oil on the plugs? If it was around the top of the threads and the tips were clean and not oily black, I wouldn't worry. If only oily around te top of the threads, the valve cover gasket could be leaking a slight touch. If the tip is oily or if an oil buildup is on the tip, you could have worn rings, or bad/worn valve stem seals. Either of these two things could also explain the gas in the oil. I would be doing a compression check ASAP so you'll know what you are getting into before riding season. if the air filter was drenched in gas, you have problems. The air filter normally gets some recirculated crank case gasses. I also suppose that a bad intake valve (hanging valve) could allow fuel to come back through the carb opening into the airbox.

You sure it's just not wet with a gasoline smell? it's normal for air filters that have been used quite a bit to smell like gas.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:41 PM

On the tips of the spark plugs it was black colored almostdry carbonized look but on the threads their was dark black oil. For the air filter I'll check it soon but I'm pretty sure it was gas because the whole air box had a sticky feel as if it was old gas.

Quick Reply: Few Concerns