F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i noises...have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i noises...have a few questions

I know our F4i’s (well really most motorcycles in general) make quite a bit if noise/chatter (i.e the clunky and long throws of the gearbox, the cctl, the clicking valves etc..) but when should one look into and take note of potential issues? When I bought my bike it had 7k miles on it and the chatter from the cctl was unbearable! After swapping in a new OEM auto cctl, it now gives a gorgeous nice hum/buzz/zip! Every now and then I will randomly hear the cctl chatter a tiny bit but it usually goes away after it adjusts, it random and is NOTHING like it was before. Anyway, I know one day I may need to swap it out again for another oem auto but I’m not counting on it anytime soon (in the next 10-20k, and hopefully never). The gearbox is the gearbox and by design I’ve learned to live with the sound it makes. I just FINALLY figured out my chain was too tight and loosening it to 1 ¼” made a world of a difference with how the bike shifts, feels and sounds! The last thing I have noticed is that at times while riding I feel like I hear a slight tick which seems set aside from the cctl buzz. The only thing I can chalk it up to is the valves. I was under the assumption that the valves on our F4i’s are not prone to going out of spec and making noise at any mileage let alone low mileage! Esp. not under 15-20k miles. The ticking is intermittent and goes away. I am just wondering, and would like to be educated on when I should worry and or look into tightening/adjusting the valves on these bikes, as it is quite invasive.

Second question. I have never seen the air filter on this bike since buying it. Think its ok? I know its dependant on weather/how the bike is kept, but do they get dirty/needing replacement rather easily? Currently I have 9k on the bike. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2010, 05:00 PM

If you loosened your chain too much then it could be your 'new' ticking. I also doubt it is the valves with that kind of mileage.
Air filter is SUPER easy to access... just pop off the tank (a few bolts) and the airbox cover (a few screws) and there it is.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:23 PM

Thanks. Ya, no this is not a chain noise. The chain tension is perfect now. I had heard and still hear a little clicking while moving around the bike with engine off as the sprockets are most likely hitting a tight link or what not but this ticking is more of a valvetrain/upper engine noise. Again, it is intermittent so no major worries I was just curious more than anything regarding the F4i valvetrain durability etc..

As for the air filter, ya It seems pretty easy to get to, I am just wondering if I should even bother/if the design is prone to getting dirty or if its near impossible to dirty/damage the air filters. If so Ill leave it alone!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:40 PM

I have been wondering the same thing. I have spent the last year getting my 2001 F4I to run right. First a new clutch, fuel pressure regulator, then the Manual CCT. Now it runs great but since I don't have the noisy cam chain noise I can hear a ticking on acceleration. If I am in gear and pull in the clutch and coast it is as quiet as a mouse. So what is normal and what ain't. I let my buddy ride it last weekend and he told me it was normal and his 954 sounded the same way.