CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

F2 Noises

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F2 Noises

Hey Everyone,

I just picked up an F2 today. I thought it was running okay, after awhile of running it around a parking lot in 1st off and on noises started appearing.

1. On the right side of the bike, I hear a constant noise, like the valve lash would be off in a car. It goes away just after about 4k.

2. Letting off the trottle, around 3-3500 as it comes down until about 2500-2000 that same noise is intensified.

But then...

The last few times I juiced it up to 3, then 5, then 7 thousand RPM's as soon as I let off the throttle it poped a few times in a backfire/misfire style.

Apparently it was jetted by the previous owner, but he didnt even know what that means.

I have taken it (in neutral) to 12k, and way up there it sounds great (Yoshi pipe)

Other then that, it starts up, it runs, It will accelerate, etc....

I just dont want to fire it up, rev it to hell and blow my engine. I'm cool with a little work, but a blown motor would suck.

I havent pulled off the fairings yet at all, so I havent checked plugs, the fuel is brand new, and grilling the previous owner he said its never done that before (the backfiring). Whether to believe him or not???

Any help would be appreciated? Would a fouled plug or clogged filter produce a backfire? it seemed to run okay when it was cold... then when it got right hot thats when what I told you was happening.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Default RE: F2 Noises

If the noise is kinda like a constant ticking sound, which is what mine is doing right now, it's probably the cam chain tensioner(CCT). A lot of people have been saying to get a manual cam chain tensioner for like 50 or 60 bucks. Apparantly the CCT that comes stock is an automatic one, but it sounds like the manual one will be better and not go out as much. As far as the backfiring goes, I'm not too sure. I would look into getting the carbs synced and the plugs changed and go from there.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Banned

A bent exhaust valve could possibly make it tap and backfire.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would start with the cam chain tensioner. Get the APE one. Its worth the money even if it doesn't fix this problem.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:05 AM

are u using regular or premium gas? could be a combo of botched jet kit and detonation. id pull your plugs first theyll point u in the right direction if its a fuel issue.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:56 PM

Well, it seems the backfiring has disappeard after a few times of running it? I dont know.. I talked to a local Honda tech and they mentioned that since the carbs are jetted and its running an aftermarket pipe, I'm liable to be running slightly lean or rich. Also in talking to them, they also say its the CCT for the right side noises.

BUT>>>

In my haste to capitlize on a "good deal", I didnt check the steering stops before purchasing the bike. The left side stop is dead on, not even a chip out of the paint. The right side is there, and it seems in order, however I can touch my tank before the stop hits? Now, I checked the forks, and the triple tree, nothing seems bent and it looks like its all oem, and I can ride slow speeds not holding on and it goes pretty much straight, but I'm reading online that a lot of jurisdictions decline a bike in its safety inspections due to steering stops. Now I'm bloody paranoid the bike has taken a good fall, and when I go put a plate on it tomorrow somethings going to come up..

My own paranoia aside, what can be done with the steering stops? I would assume this has happened to many a bike in the past, and theres ways to fix the little welded on tabs? Could it be that my clip on is a little twisted inwards? Is that possible? I noticed that about it, it does look like the right side clip on is at a slightly different angle then the left. I mean, its not drastic = as the bar end hits the tank, its touching the steering stop, but it hits the tank first.

Any suggestions?

I hope I didnt get into some salvaged piece because I jumped too quick...

Old 09-10-2023, 04:31 AM

Hi
It sounds like the bike may have been dropped and damaged the steering stops they can be welded by a certified welder and re machined.
Regarding the backfiring off the throttle are there any air leaks on the inlet manifolds

Old 09-10-2023, 09:53 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Proturn1
Hi
It sounds like the bike may have been dropped and damaged the steering stops they can be welded by a certified welder and re machined.
Regarding the backfiring off the throttle are there any air leaks on the inlet manifolds

Old 09-12-2023, 05:10 PM
Default Mirrors for 1988 CBR750 F Hurricane Aero

Hi Guys I am after either a good used L/H Mirror or a matching Pair or mirrors for my 1988 CBR 750 Hurricane Aero.
Ifvany one can help please contact me as I cannot find a matching L/ H Mirror in NZ as of today
0064 274767029