F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4I No start

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4I No start

Alright so hopefully someone can help me out this time (the last post i made i didnt get a single response to)

I did an f4i conversion to my f4, front to back everything electrical is off of a f4i, got it all wired up and ready to fire, keyed up and no fuel pump prime. so i played with this for a while and it looks like the "good used ecu" i bought is junk, the brown and black wire out of the unit is not grounding the fuel relay. So i figured this project has gone on long enough and jumped the relay to get it to fire (i also noticed after the bike is cranking the pump comes on) I start to crank it and it spins over about 3 times and act like the battery is dead, so i put it on charge for about an hour and came back and same thing. So i figured the battery was junk. Went and picked up a brand new one and the same results.

Looking to see if anyone has found a short or a similar problem, almost leaning towards the starter being shorted but im just lost at this point, and tired of sinking money hand over fist into a bike i haven't even heard run

Some notes on the project: (That ive noticed people bring up in other post)
Tip Sensor is hardwired
Ignition switch is working right
kickstand switch seems to be working
Headlights are not wired up (still have to figure out how to wire this back to the f4 headlight)
Ground wires from what i can tell are all hooked up

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-11-2013, 12:55 AM

I think you have to have the head lights pluged in.
Have you tried to push start it?

Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 AM

From what i have read the headlights do not need to be plugged in, actually i saw a video on youtube of a guy that had it unplugged and his tip sensor jumped at the connector and his fired up.

Not able to try to push start it right now, its still in a lot of pieces i was just hoping to hear it run before i fully assemble it.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:11 PM

I think ive got it figured out after hours of sitting and thinking about it. But havent got home from work to check. I have the voltage regulator sitting on the side of the bike not bolted to the frame and i think it needs that ground in order to complete the circuit. Problem is i bought this bike disassembled and have no clue where it is suppose to mount. Can someone tell me where it is suppose to go?

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 PM

well voltage regulator was a no go, and i had a spare to check it with. Any other ideas guys? it cranks over perfect for about 5 seconds then acts like the battery is dying, if you let of the starter and wait a few seconds it fires right back up then acts like its dying again.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by freestylemotox12
From what i have read the headlights do not need to be plugged in, actually i saw a video on youtube of a guy that had it unplugged and his tip sensor jumped at the connector and his fired up.

Not able to try to push start it right now, its still in a lot of pieces i was just hoping to hear it run before i fully assemble it.
Strange. I am very sure when I took off my front fairing (with headlights on it), I couldn't fire the bike on. Maybe your model is different after all.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 PM

Well what else is strange is I have spark and fuel I have everything needed to start it, it's almost like there's a short, but I can't find one anywhere

Old 07-18-2013, 08:06 AM

Alright so i ordered a new starter and threw it in last night and that solved my cranking issue, now my problem is the fuel pump wont prime or come on when im cranking. This thing is blowing my mind, it never primed before i tore all this apart but when i would crank the pump would come on and i would get fuel. now ive got nothing and im at a dead end. The relays are working good but im not getting ground signal from the ecm to switch the relay and send power to the pump. any ideas?