F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i Clutch Problem

Hey guys, first post ever but have been reading the forum for a while and have learned a lot. Ok, so I have an 06 F4i that I've had for about 2 monthes now. When I first got it, it ran great for about 5 weeks then I started noticing a slight power decrease. Very slight, but I felt it. Also, the bike sounded a bit different, like it was pushing out air when I revved the engine. Then, a few weeks ago(long story) I hit a highway median going at a speed I shouldn't have been. All that happened was a cracked stator cover. The only other part of the bike that took impact was the left side handlebar which had a slider on the end so it grinder down a bit. Afterwards I fixed the stator with a new cover and gasket, which now leaks very slightly only when running. But, the main problem is now when I release the clutch completely after hitting the friction zone the bike does not stall out, it just rolls by itself going a steady 7-8mph without dying. I have adjusted the clutch both top and bottom and no change. The only things I can think of is that my oil is a bit high right now and also, after my highway incident I noticed my clutch cable was now in a much different position and it covered my speedo which it didn't do at all before. Any ideas what's wrong? Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by Swolzenn; 06-26-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Wording
Old 06-30-2017, 10:12 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think clutch cable covering speedo is common for f4i's, I remember reading a thread full of complaints about it... mine covers the odometer/trip meter area.

I'm not sure if I understand the issue correctly... So you're in gear, clutch held in (clutch disengaged), clutch released completely, and bike keeps rolling forward with no throttle? and theres no other problems with clutch operation ?

Old 07-03-2017, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by SunBlue
I think clutch cable covering speedo is common for f4i's, I remember reading a thread full of complaints about it... mine covers the odometer/trip meter area.

I'm not sure if I understand the issue correctly... So you're in gear, clutch held in (clutch disengaged), clutch released completely, and bike keeps rolling forward with no throttle? and theres no other problems with clutch operation ?
ok yes I've heard of the cable covering the speedo but the thing is mine didn't at all before the incident. Only afterwards did it start doing it. And what the problem is is that when I completely release the clutch hand lever, instead of stalling out the bike will just roll at about 7mph without stopping unless I brake and then it stops. Is this normal? I feel like I never noticed it doing that before. I got a new clutch cable to put in but haven't yet. Regardless of that it's running great

Old 07-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

No, the bike should not move when the engine is not connected to the rear wheel. Your clutch is not releasing all the way.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
No, the bike should not move when the engine is not connected to the rear wheel. Your clutch is not releasing all the way.
Yes this is what I was thinking. So how would I fix this? Thanks for the reply by the way

Old 07-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I think more happened then just a stator cover when you went down, like that left clipon bent. That would cause the clutch cable to be in a different spot on your gauge cluster and would affect for the bad adjustment. You need to adjust the clutch cable so it pulls sooner. I'm guessing you have alot of freeplay in the level before the clutch gets harder to pull?

Old 07-06-2017, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
I think more happened then just a stator cover when you went down, like that left clipon bent. That would cause the clutch cable to be in a different spot on your gauge cluster and would affect for the bad adjustment. You need to adjust the clutch cable so it pulls sooner. I'm guessing you have alot of freeplay in the level before the clutch gets harder to pull?
Honestly no the cable pulls exactly the same after I adjusted it. The clutch engages while the handle is pretty far out, which is how it was before and is how I like it. At first it had a lot more play but I adjusted top and bottom. However I'm definitely no expert so I easily could have made it worse