F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i battery/RR/stator or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i battery/RR/stator or something else?

Okay so I will give a run down of what the bike has done and what it is doing now. Bike is a 2004 Honda CBR600F4i, bought it and the battery seemed to be dying, so I replaced it. Bike ran fine for a day or two but then wouldn't start, again sounded like the battery was really weak, but it was brand new.

Did some research and thought it was the R/R, so I replaced that. Put the brand new one on, bike did the SAME thing. Had advance charge my battery for 24 hours, thinking maybe the battery was fried on the 2-3 trips with a bad R/R, but they tested it good and charged it full. Bike sounded like the battery was dead. Now, if I put it on the charger and jump it, it fires up fine. I can ride 5 miles with no issues as long as the bike is on, nothing feels off. Could probably go further but I don't want to harm the bike.

Voltage to the battery when the bike is on is right around 12-13v at idle on a cold start, haven't revved it up to 3-4k RPMs and checked voltage there but I plan to soon.

My only other thoughts could be: Bad stator, short somewhere, bad ground somewhere.

So in short; The bike will not start on a fresh battery, but will jump and run fine when it is on, has pretty normal voltage when on, dies after even being turned on once.

Any ideas guys?

Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Your charging system is still acting up.
Test it as detailed in the service manual. But in a nutshell...

Stator terminals must have continuity to each other and no continuity to ground
The system wont charge at idle. Take a reading on the battery at 5k rpm, looking for 13.5v to 14.5v.

If your stator tests bad, the new r/r may have been damaged. Hopefully not.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM

Use this to test your whole charging system:

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pd...ng-diagram.pdf

I recommend following the wires all the way from your stator to the RR and then to the battery. I ended up finding a connector that had melted on the yellow wires (stator) that was tucked behind the left side frame/fairing

Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Your charging system is still acting up.
Test it as detailed in the service manual. But in a nutshell...

Stator terminals must have continuity to each other and no continuity to ground
The system wont charge at idle. Take a reading on the battery at 5k rpm, looking for 13.5v to 14.5v.

If your stator tests bad, the new r/r may have been damaged. Hopefully not.
I am way below voltage now, even with the bike warmed up. Went for a short, short ride today after bike was at normal operating temps and realized that when I ride at a constant speed/RPM the bike feels all though its breaking up. I am thinking the coils aren't getting enough power, making it a bad stator. Just ordered a Ricks motorsports off ebay before work, hoping that does it! If not I may drop the bike off with a buddy who is a full time bike mechanic to help me figure this out. I figured since I got a new R/R and just ordered another new battery, might as well do the stator too. Riding season is coming up, gonna be worth it!

Again, I am very new with bikes, coming from boosted cars, but I have a very good understanding after extensive research. But if any of what I am saying doesn't make sense, I am sorry and feel free to correct me.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by svek
Use this to test your whole charging system:

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pd...ng-diagram.pdf

I recommend following the wires all the way from your stator to the RR and then to the battery. I ended up finding a connector that had melted on the yellow wires (stator) that was tucked behind the left side frame/fairing
Thank you!!!

Funny thing, my Dad was doing some research when he was at work today on my bike and when I came home tonight, he had a full print out of that EXACT diagram he said he got off someones post on CBRForums. Kinda funny!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM

Just wanted to update so if anyone searches and finds this thread and they have the same problem, [B]it was the stator.[B] Bike runs 110% now!