F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Engine shut off problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 03:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine shut off problems

Hi,

I've got a safety switch problem with my CBR. The last owner has bypassed the kickstand switch. However when I put the bike in neutral, and release the clutch the engine shuts off. When I by-pass the clutch switch the engine stays on in neutral with the clutch in AND out, but when I put it into gear it stalls.

If I bypass the neutral switch so the bike constantly thinks its in neutral, WITH the clutch switch bypass and the kickstand bypass the bike works as it should. Having studied the wiring diagram I've traced back this behaviour and believe the only way this could occur is because of a bad ground on the kickstand switch. So while its bypassed correctly, its not grounding out so every time I release the clutch in neutral it breaks the look on the safety switch circuit and the bike shuts off.

I may be completly off the mark here but thats the only way I can see the three switches interacting in the way that they are now, so my question is....

Where does the kickstand switch ground to?

Thanks all.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless the kickstand is removed, I'd recommend putting the switch back into the circuit. The kickstand switch is a safety item and having a kickstand down with an attempt to ride could ruin your day.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jaybird180
Unless the kickstand is removed, I'd recommend putting the switch back into the circuit. The kickstand switch is a safety item and having a kickstand down with an attempt to ride could ruin your day.
Thanks for the input, I've ordered a new kickstand switch already, and I'm well aware of the potential issues that come with not having the side-stand switch.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:10 PM

I know it's been 1.5 years, but were you able to figure out this issue? I'm having the same problem.