F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Don't you just like that one warm winter day to ride!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don't you just like that one warm winter day to ride!!!

I am also the same way, I still am riding and i have ridden in weather as cold as 22 degrees here in NC. It's so cold my breath freezes on my helmet ha. I have a nice thick joe rocket leather jacket and joe rocket gloves. It's COLD but it's worth it i love to ride!

ORIGINAL: supersnake83

I feel the same way especially since I am a new rider.

I rode a lot this fall after I got the bike because I was so happy. I rode as cold as 37F. I have a pair of waterproof gloves, a balaclava (crappy cheap $10.00 one though) and my Teknic textile jacket. I really didn't feel the pinch of the cold weather either. I just hate those gloves (only because they are not broken in) because with them being a little thicker, they make it a little harder to be precise with the throttle.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: VR4Mit3000GT

I am also the same way, I still am riding and i have ridden in weather as cold as 22 degrees here in NC. It's so cold my breath freezes on my helmet ha. I have a nice thick joe rocket leather jacket and joe rocket gloves. It's COLD but it's worth it i love to ride!
That's is pretty daring. I have some good warm gear too, but for safety reasons, I put my bike up for the winter.

I cannot wait for that late Winter/early Spring low 50's temps so I can bring the bike back out. I'll be riding it like I stole it!

Old 12-20-2008, 02:40 AM

I've had mine out in the mid 20's and it was damn cold, but I work with a guy who rode his harley to work all but three days last year up here in Michigan

Old 12-20-2008, 05:53 AM

However, I have one question. Does the gas mileage on this bike suck or does riding at 90+ miles/hour really use that much more gas.<<

Yeah, high speed uses a lot more gas. It's mainly due to aerodynamic drag. Drag coefficients are inverse type equationsdouble the speed and you quadruple the drag, so at 115 MPH, drag is four times greater than at 55 MPH. Is thus takes more horsepower to maintain steady state. It's not quite four times the horsepower, but it's more. I don't have drag tables for bikes (I'm sure someone does) but for a really draggy car, it takes about 130 HP to maintain 100 MPH, but450 to maintain 150 MPH. Faired bikes are fairly aerodynamic, but far from ideal.

Engines are most fuel efficient with wide-open throttle and toward the higher end of the torque range. But even though they are efficient at higher speeds, the higher drag requires more power and more fuel.
You can really see the effects of this on a long range ride on twisty roads. My F4i averages about 44 MPG in typical highway riding at75 MPH. When I take it on the Blue Ridge Parkway for 300 miles, the average goes up to 55.

It makes sense. Even though I wail it kind of hard with a lot high revs, the sustained speeds never get very high so the drag is low. Ideal efficiency conditions: large throttle openings, but low on the drag curve. The other thing that's noticeable about drag is how noticeable it really is above, say, 100 MPH. A 600 like the F4i will easily get to 100 to 110, but it starts to struggle to get out to 140 because it's getting into the top of the drag curvethat portion where drag has quadrupled and a lot of suplus horsepower is required to overcome it. 600s don't have that.

A liter bike has the same drag, but more power, so it blasts up to 150 and beyond with ease.

More than you ever wanted to know, I'm sure.

Paul

Old 12-20-2008, 09:50 PM

Im Canadian, warm winter day LOL