F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Dont Let Your Bike Get Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:19 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont Let Your Bike Get Stolen

I am thinking about making one of these to go along with my security system.... its pretty easy and very cool i think

http://www.instructables.com/id/Motorbike-Phone-Alarm/z

Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 AM

interesting if it works..i assume you would have to have an active phone for this to make calls...let us know if it works out for you

Old 03-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by silverstonef4i
interesting if it works..i assume you would have to have an active phone for this to make calls...let us know if it works out for you

very true i never though about that.... but worst case you could just get a pre paid phone or a pay as you go phone...

Old 03-03-2010, 01:04 PM

You think the average person could do this? It makes me wish I took an electronics course at college instead of logistics!...lol! I would like to be able to do this however it's seems a bit overwhelming! LOL! If anyone does it can you provide more detailed instructions? I have a half a dozen cell phones however I don't think I can do it without help...I also think it has potential with a GPS enabled phone...You could find the bike and take care of the thief...!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:38 AM

This is totally legit, simple, and will work. You need a phone with a hardware keypad (and service, of course). Also, it has to support the speed dial feature where you hold in a number key (3, in this walkthrough) to cause it to call a number (yours). You can get PayGo phones off eBay for like $10. The problem is the phone needs to always be charged, and on for this to function. You'd also need to keep it some place waterproof, or just heatshrink the whole gizmo once you've got it all together.

For the charging problem, I would create a voltage converter like I did for my USB port ( https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/how-install-charging-usb-port-your-bike-zomg-96467/ ), and have it just rectify to whatever DC voltage the phone needs to charge, and lop the connector of the phone's AC adapter to make for an easy wiring job. Just make sure you wire it up so it only charges the phone when the ignition is on, or you'll kill the bike's battery in a few hours. Hard-wire all that in, turn the phone on, and you're set permanently. The only situation where this would fail is if you don't run the bike for an extended period, so the phone never charges, and the battery dies. The paygo phones I have last 5-7 days without use before they need a charge.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 AM

You could probably get away with having the phone charge all the time. Once the phone battery is charged it will just pull power from the bike battery to keep it going. The draw requirements for a cheap phone are very minimal and unless your bike sits for along time at a time you should be fine. Just think, that little phone battery gives you 5-7 days. That bike battery would give the phone at least a month of life I would figure.

The main reason I would say go this route is for if you ever do have to leave the bike for more than 5-7 days. That extra battery lfe could mean the difference between a call to your phone or not.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:46 PM

I was speaking from experience. I left a phone charging on my bike maybe 2 hours while I changed the chain and sprockets, and when I went to start it she was dead.

We've all left the stupid little dome light on in our cars and come out in the morning to find the battery dead. These batteries are made for cranking amps, not extended draw. Don't let the size fool you.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
I was speaking from experience. I left a ***** charging on my **** maybe 2 hours, and when I was ready to start it she was dead tired.

This **** is made for cranking amps, not extended draw. Don't let the size fool you.
I bet thats what he said....

Im sorry I couldnt resist noticing if you take that statement delete some words and change a few then at a chick it gets kinda humorous

Old 03-18-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by zmds18
I was speaking from experience. I left a ***** charging on my **** maybe 2 hours, and when I was ready to start it she was dead tired.

This **** is made for cranking amps, not extended draw. Don't let the size fool you.

haha thats awesome, but yes that makes sence. Only a test subject will know forsure. NOT ME

Old 03-18-2010, 02:57 PM

Man, look at my sig: My poor bike is one loooooooong test subject. I should just fill the whole thing with asterisks.