F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Did I fill up too much oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you have the bike completely upright and not on the side stand when you measured it?

Old 04-15-2018, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i may have put too much oil in, too.

Hi CaBaRet thanks for responding. She was on the side stand when I filled her but I had a friend hold her upright to check the level. I wasn't checking the window when pouring the oil in unfortunately, silly me. I guess the question is, should I drain the oil and the refill whilst watching the window and someone hold her level? It just seems strange to have put so little oil in, and it still appear to be too much.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you change the oil filter ,as remember that will be empty and needs to fill up

Old 04-15-2018, 03:27 PM

Yep, new oil filter too, one of the reasons why I think 2.5 litres shouldn't be overfilling it. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:11 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Never have trusted these windows, sight glasses or whatever you want to call it. A measured amount is exactly what it is. What real figure do you put to that oil level you can or can nearly see whilst crouching or laying or standing on your head. All this while wondering if you or your mate has got the bike upright.
Next time you want to spin your head, watch the mystic window and lean and lay the bike over back and fore watching the glass. Center her, got how much oil ?

And I wouldn’t ever bother looking at it if the bike hasn’t been off for half an hour or so, even then it’s a yes or no, there’s (not) some oil in there not an actual amount.
One bolt and a container......if your concerned and you want accuracy, measure it not eye it.

Filter....why not oil it up before installing. Once you start your pride and joy that filters gonna be wanting some oil at the same time as your engine components. Why not give it a head start ?
Torque wrench on sump bolt. How many wrecked threads have pained us all ? Over tightening stretches these threads. I bet more than a few of members sump plugs are on the tighter side of recommended tightness. (Mine inc) Scarily loose if you try it lol !!

Old 04-17-2018, 01:22 AM

Thanks Wes, sage advice indeed. You are absolutely right, I should rely on the manual and my wife's measuring jug, I just started doubting myself when I couldn't see the level. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interestingly I replaced the oil today and the goes over the top mark and completely fills the observation window, though not much. It did this last time as well and I let it be, but not this time. I sucked some out using a fish tank airing line Was shocking to disocver the Motul oil I put in doesn't taste that bad as I had expected.
On a serious note would be really interesting to know why this happens? Should we let the bike sit overnight with drain plug out allowing it more time to drip out?

Old 04-22-2018, 09:24 PM
GjP

While i was working on my bike after i first bought it i had it stripped down and on my paddock stand, i took the oil filter off, drained the oil, coolant change and flushed my brake fluid. I didn't put a new filter or replace the oil for a day or so (to let it drain fully) and i remember when i did fill it, i put about 3L and left it till i got it put back together and started again, after i started it up and left it running to get the oil filter filled and the oil around the engine i then left if for a while to check my oil level - I still had the .3L in my measuring jug and remember thinking that it looked pretty full already without it and maybe put a 100ml in for good measure. So i think it has to do with the viscosity of the oil- i.e the old oil is still coating the inside of the engine parts/surface meaning you won't get the 3.3L in as stated in the manual. The shorter the time between draining and refilling will alter the amount you need to fill it back up as less oil will have drained that's still coating the inside of the engine/parts. Well thats what i 'think' its due too but I'm no mechanic - so take that with a pinch of salt;-)

So yes, leaving it overnight should allow more oil to drain out - meaning you'll get closer to the magic 3.3L (if you've taken off the filter as well) or 3L if you're just draining.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The oil level on a bike is just like any other vehicle, it doesn't have to be spot on. In a typical car, the upper and lower dots on your dip stick that you are supposed to keep the oil between, are a full quart difference! As long as you are somewhere in between them, you wont ever have any issues, its what the engineers recommed.
I can't say exactly what the difference is between the upper and lower line on the f4i's sight glass, but I'm pretty sure its right around half a quart/liter. The risks of underfilling or running low are obvious, you drop or lose oil pressure (namely while cornering, accelerating, or even braking) and starve your engine of oil. Running too much oil you risk blowing out seals from over pressurization of the crankcase.

When it comes to most automobiles, I always just fill them to the top of their recommended level, then I know I'm not overfull, and in case of an oil leak, or blow by, I have a buffer before I run low.
When it comes to the f4i, or even a mid 2000's 600r in particular, I run them past the full mark, right around to the top of the sight glass, about 1/2 quart/liter over full, mainly because I ride wheelies. The f4i with filter change calls for 3.3liter/3.5qt, I always just put 3.5qt's in, then I start the bike up tell it builds oil pressure, shut it off, let it sit about 30 seconds, and check the sight glass, it's usually closer to the top line, aka about "perfect" for general riding. Then I usually add another 1/4 qt, sometimes the entire 1/2, to get me to the top of the sight glass, or slightly over.

In all honesty, I don't think that tiny bit of extra oil makes a huge difference in wheelies. for regular wheelies, I can tell you right now it makes ZERO difference, you will NOT lose oil pressure at balance point, even with your oil low, at the bottom mark! I just have always done it out of habit since it's what I was told 12 years ago when I got my first f4i to stunt. Also I've ran with and without an oil pickup mod on f4i's, and didn't notice really much of a difference. It's always been the same to me, I lose pressure when I go back past 12 o'clock, with or without my oil pickup turned around. F4i's take it like a tank!

In this specific picture right here from like 10 years ago, with the stock oil pickup, and my oil filled just to the top of the sight glass (only about 1/4-1/2qt over at most) my f4i would run all day and maintain oil pressure. just SLIGHTLY further back and it would lose oil pressure. This angle though is way past balance point at any speed.

Originally Posted by wes 17
Never have trusted these windows, sight glasses or whatever you want to call it. A measured amount is exactly what it is. What real figure do you put to that oil level you can or can nearly see whilst crouching or laying or standing on your head. All this while wondering if you or your mate has got the bike upright.
Next time you want to spin your head, watch the mystic window and lean and lay the bike over back and fore watching the glass. Center her, got how much oil ?
In theory you should be able to just measure an amount out, but how do you know exactly how much drained? Was the bike the same temp as last time you drained it, did you leave the plug out the same amount of time? Is the bike exactly at the same level as last time so the same amount drains?
Even if you measure much drains out, How do you account for residual losses?

The sight glass is just like a dip stick on a car, or even a dip stick on a motorcycle/dirt bike/atv that uses a dip stick instead of a sight glass. Do you measure out the oil for a automobile, or even for a lawn mower, or any other engine? Or do you check the level after filling?

It's not like you can really hurt an f4i easily, I just just the sight glass as its easier, quicker, and you can verify how much oil is in there.