F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom exhaust

So my bike was stolen, then recovered a week later. Super lucky I know. Long story short, its come back craptastic and with a gsxr can to boot.

Have been meaning to do a custom exhaust on the bike ever since I saw a few bike have those newer shorty cans low by the swingarm. But I realize most or all of those systems are probably really loud. Its not rocket science the shorter the can the less packing material and less sound deadening. I had a D&D slip-on and it was already loud.

Anyway I atleast want it to not poke out back as much (shorten the mid pipe, bringing the whole thing forward). Finally found a decent slip on on CL, the Devil racer brand exhaust. Looks to be a quality European brand with great sounding systems. However its a high mount slip on is made for an older R6. Looks like this pretty much:

Anyone think its going to be tough to mate it to the stock header exit? I still have the midpipe from the D&D slip on (unless that was the stock midpipe) to hack up anyway I need to make the two connect. You think it'll sound the same as it sounds on the R6? Sounds pretty damn good on youtube.

Last edited by rcncbr; 10-04-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:03 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

It will sound like your bike, The cans are pretty much universal, it is the midpipe that is custom made for the bike. as long as long as the inlet of the can is the same diameter as the diameter of the outlet of the midpipe. Other than that you can always make things fit.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:15 AM

Thanks, it was dumb to think it would sound like the R6 lol.

Devil exhaust is bought. $135 for good condition, i think it was a good deal. Will try to see about connecting it this week.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:13 PM

Its done!!

Right when I got it back from the police station who rescued it back from the stinking thieves that took it.

That muffler wasn't even attached, just the mid pipe stuck all the way into the GSXR muffler with the shirt wrapped around as a gasket. So as soon as I could I redid their work with some of my own and another Suzuki muffler that was lying around my friends shop. Atleast now it didn't leak.

After: (didn't get a chance to put my fairings back on yet)

Since the shop only had a MIG welder I tried to keep the welding to a minimum so as not to introduce unnecessary rust. Actually didn't need any welding done since I cut up bits and pieces of the original pipe and aftermarket pipe. Just made everything slip fit.

Original - could be leftover from my D&D slip on not sure

Another piece - cut, widen and notched.

And the pipe from the Devil system chopped a bit short to fit

All semi fitted. Realized if I made it too short/forward my foot would touch the vertical pipe going up. Also read the high mount M4 system had a similar problem. Positioned it just back enough.

Slight angled out, best I could do

Good clearance all around

Rear bracket made and all fitted

I will make a video for sound if anyone is interested. Sounds very mellow and pretty quiet actually. Maybe I was too used to the obnoxious D&D but I wouldn't mind if it were 2/10's louder. All in all i'm glad I went with this exhaust and high mount setup.

Last edited by rcncbr; 10-12-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:55 AM
"A"
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a nice looking fabrication.
I' m trying to connect GSXR titanium muffler to my F4i, so far I haven't thought about slip-on flit, but considering the method after seeing your pics, good work.

Name:  IMG_6193_zpsb4fd83ea.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  107.9 KB

I may need to just fabricate a connector piece like yours.

Last edited by "A"; 10-15-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:50 AM

Well there are a few reasons I went slip fit.

A - My friend's shop has a pipe tool that widens pipes so it was readily available to me
B - His shop only had a mig welder. All my pipes were stainless steel from what I can see so if we welded, the weld would have rusted. If he had a tig welder then I would've went that direction since that wont rust.
C - I had extra pipe from the D&D mid pipe with a bend in it that was handy to use.