Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cruise control

maybe its for wheelies hahahaha

Old 06-30-2007, 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: lifties

"It will not Engage or Disengage automatically."

That Throttlemeister cruise control is crazy. It isn't a cruise control at all, it is a throttle lock.
I can't speak for the Throttlemeister but on the throttle lock device I had, it was very easy to let off the gas, even without flipping the lever.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:16 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lifties

"It will not Engage or Disengage automatically."

That Throttlemeister cruise control is crazy. It isn't a cruise control at all, it is a throttle lock. IMHO, anything that locks the throttle is pure craziness. I can not foresee any situation where the benefit of locking the throttle would out weigh the risk. Maybe if you are drive mad miles on an open, straight, isolated highway, but why would you have a sportbike if that where the case.

TM is not a cruise control but neither are most others, e.g. breakaway, throttle rocker, etc.. the only true cruise controls are much more expensive and nearly all are designed for cruisers, goldwings, bmw's .. i've only seen a couple true cruise controls designed for sportbikes (i can't remember where off the top of my head).

what you quoted "it will not engage or disengage automatically" is true but misleading. The TM uses a bar end that you twist to lock the throttle in position but you can still roll and off the throttle like you normally would even when engaged. When you twist the bar end on the TM to the on position, it holds the throttle in the set position you left it at but it does not use "force lock", it just lightly holds it there so you don't have to apply any pressure with your wrist WHICH IS THE MAIN ADVANTAGE for people with C.T.S. like myself. You still operate the throttle just as you normally would even when it's set to the on position; meaning if you roll on the throttle it will stay at wherever you leave it and vice versa but you have to manually roll back to let off the gas - it will not snap back like normal when in the on position.

Once you get used to it, it isn't dangerous at all but I still wouldn't use it for anywhere except a long stretch of straight light traffic hwy (that's the only place i use a real 'true' cruise control as well anyway) or anywhere i want to give my wrist a few seconds of break. The other brands that are not true cruise controls, they are much less expensive but are far more dangerous because they don't let you roll off the throttle without disengaging first. and no, i don't work for TM [8D], just been using it for 4 years.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:38 AM

I found the throttle lock at my Honda dealership.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:51 PM

You could always put a thick o-ring between the grip and the bar end if you want to go really cheap. The o-ring should hold the throttle open but the downside is that you have to manualy twist the throttle closed as it will not spring back on its own due to the o-ring

Old 07-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Stephens

I found a kit, and it was pretty cheap. Only like 35 bucks. I am going to try it and if it works. I will post pics.
Lets see pics if you got em.
How's it workin out?
Thanks!!

Old 07-01-2007, 08:18 PM

I personally would never put anything on my throttle, if you hit a big pot hole or bump or somethin and your hand slips your screwed.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:47 AM

Audiovox CCS-100, it's a universal auto cruise control kit that is often installed on ST1300's and CBR1100XX's, I'm sure it's also put on other bikes too, but these are the ones I'm familiar with, You can buy it online at AutoZone, it runs about $90, it was discontinued in the local stores awhile ago,but if your lucky, you might be able to find one, their 70% off, I picked up three kits last week in various stores in my area for about $32 OTD, and I see them going on EBAY for around $90.[/align][/align]I don't know if you could put one on a F4I, because you have to mount a servo that is about the size of a large coffee mug, there have been a couple of guys who have had them stick on due to improper installation, when the cable went slack, it caught on some thing and failed to let the throttle return to idle, so it's very critical to make sure every thing is perfect, oh and most people do not make and install the extra canister, that acts as an accumulator to hold extra vacum for whn the bikes vacum drops, might need it on a different type of bike?[/align][/align]here is a link showing the installs on the bikesmentioned above, incase your still curious[/align][/align]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/steve....dex_cruise.htm[/align][/align]http://www.frontiernet.net/~st1300ri...-16-05/ecc.htm[/align]

Old 07-02-2007, 02:16 PM

I am having some issues, the secondary ring that mounts on the handle bars, there isn't enough room to mount it. So I have to either move the brake resevoir or not use it.