F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Headlights on a fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights on a fuse?

Since the search function on the forum seems to be broken, everything comes back as nothing found or too many, I'll just ask here. Last night when I started my bike to head home the headlights didn't come on. Brake lights, turnsignals etc. all worked fine and it started and ran like normal but headlights were dead. Obviously I tried both high and low beams. I even removed the light bulbs and both looked okay. I swaped the high and low beam bulbs hoping that might get me home but no luck.

Is the headlight circuit in series somehow that if the lowbeam burns out the highbeam won't work? That seems a bit stupid if so not too mention the intensity would drop with highbeams on. The only option left it seems is that there's a fuse just for the headlights? The shop manual doesn't show a headlight fuse and there's no circuit diagram that I can find.

So is there a headlight fuse under the seat? If so how many amps?

Kevin

Old 07-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Mad
Default RE: Headlights on a fuse?

If the low beam burns out the hi beam should still work. They are not in series. There is a fuse just for the headlights and it is 10A.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the response. Obviously it's the fuse then. The lame part is now I have to clean up the bulbs from my dirty hands and pull the vent assembly out to get everything back in. Since I have them out should I consider going with a different bulb?

Kevin

Old 07-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Mad

nah, I wouldn't. I would just see if replacing that fuse works for you.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:11 PM

Now I'm stumped. I put new bulbs in and new fuses and no dice. The bike runs fine, horn, turn signals front ambers, rear red running light and brake light all work fine. It's just the headlights won't come on in either low or high beam. When in high beam the blue indicator light on the guage panel doesn't come on either though. The fuse doesn't see 12 volts with the key on like it should. The horn fuse gets a nice 12v when the horn is pressed.

If the high beam switch were messed up the low beam should still work I'd think.

Any ideas? Is there a electrical diagram in the service manual? I didn't see one.

Kevin

Old 07-01-2007, 08:19 PM

headlight relay is the next thing to try I suppose.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:42 PM

not try to be a wise a$$,but i guess its still plugged in to the bike harness?i had mine out but i cant remember if the headlight has its own harness or not. seems like its a big gray plug then a small square white one,and small black sqaure one

Old 07-01-2007, 08:52 PM

Could be a break in the harness somewhere but I haven't traced the whole path yet. From the headlights the loop back into a larger bundle. I did just check the relay plug and I am getting 12v at the one side of the relay. Trying to remember the best way to test a relay. Wonder if I should just jump across the relay for a moment since it's fused with a 10 amp fuse anyway.

Kevin

Old 07-01-2007, 09:01 PM

I would replace the starter switch assembly.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:31 PM

Hrmm break in the harness (something unplugged) or as fuze mentioned starter switch assembly, although engine stop and starter functions work fine on it, the other things controlled by that switch assembly. After tracing the circuit diagram the relay doesn't have anything to do with the low beam, only supplies power to the hi beam when engaged.

Going to trace the harness for anything unplugged or shorted wires thenthe starter switch might be the last resort.

Quick Reply: Headlights on a fuse?