F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Coolant leak and parts compatibility question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 10:39 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Coolant leak and parts compatibility question

I noticed a couple drops and traced a minor coolant leak but it seems odd as the coolant is seeping out of the hose material?

Its the lower radiator hose, I'll order a new one but still think this was an odd sort of leak.

A friend from work has a 2000 F4 for sale as a parts bike, its a couple hundred dollars but still starts and runs. I've seen some threads regarding parts compatibility between generations but overall would you think its worth $400.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:58 PM
Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

I would guess that the drops have just ended up in that configuration and that the hose isn't actually seeping fluid - I've never seen on actually seep but I suppose if it is old enough anything could happen. A lot of hoses have 'strings' in them laterally and longitudinally for strength and I would say the coolant has attached to them. You may just try a new worm clamp in it to see if that stops the leak. And unless it is in a really tight spot you may not have to remove the hose to do it, just unscrew the clamp all the way and wrap it around the hose.

As far as a 2000 F4 being worth $400...I guess it depends on what you're wanting it for. If it's all there it is worth $400. If it has even a couple of parts that you need it could be worth it. Down size is that you could be stuck with some really useless parts in the end and have to get rid of them.

Old 04-12-2021, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

The F4 and F4i fairing parts are the same/interchangeable. If you have the space, why not. A running/ridable F4 is certainly worth $400. Although a replacement radiator hose is only $25 which is significantly less.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
The F4 and F4i fairing parts are the same/interchangeable. If you have the space, why not. A running/ridable F4 is certainly worth $400. Although a replacement radiator hose is only $25 which is significantly less.
The hose I'll buy new, that's not the main intention of the parts bike. The recent opportunity to buy it came up after a friend at work learned I owned an F4i and he was looking to get rid of it to make room and appease his wife. The price seemed better than fair and I haven't had much luck finding an F4i parts bike.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

To me it's a matter of space and do I have to appease my wife. Luckily, my wife rides 2 of the 4 CBR's we've got so I'm at an advantage. The F4 is a carbureted bike, so fuel related items won't be compatible. Cosmetic things are. What condition is the F4 in? If it's ridable, for $400 it might be worth fixing up and selling for profit.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
To me it's a matter of space and do I have to appease my wife. Luckily, my wife rides 2 of the 4 CBR's we've got so I'm at an advantage. The F4 is a carbureted bike, so fuel related items won't be compatible. Cosmetic things are. What condition is the F4 in? If it's ridable, for $400 it might be worth fixing up and selling for profit.
The F4 is rideable, just neglected and left out back because he had too many other toys according to his wife. I would imagine a simple tune-up and carb cleaning is all that's needed for a quick flip. I have the space for it, but lack time up until my work schedule opens up. Planning a wedding party is also taking up some time lol. Luckily, my fiancee does not mind the hobby even though she has zero enthusiasm for bikes. But, I feel as though picking up another bike while we're putting down deposits for a wedding isn't the most intelligent move. After its all done, she has no problems with an endless supply of project bikes taking up the garage.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:55 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My old hoses leaked the same way as yours, on multiple hoses - not sure why they would leak that way but looked to be coming from the "holes" where the reinforcement fibers poke out, maybe some small cracks in the hose and the fluid seeps up the fiber.
The F4 has other minor differences other than the fuel system for ex I believe the radiator and water pump design is different (extra hose fitting or something) there may be others. For $400 I would just fix it up and flip it, as long as I had the space to do so. Our one car garage is full with 3 bikes in it sob

Old 04-13-2021, 06:48 PM
Welcome crew
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by SunBlue
...maybe some small cracks in the hose and the fluid seeps up the fiber...

For $400 I would just fix it up and flip it, as long as I had the space to do so. Our one car garage is full with 3 bikes in it sob
RE: the leak, that was my thought as well!

At that price and running? At little cleaning up, fresh fluids, and tires (if necessary) and I'm sure it would go for a nice little profit if OP were so inclined!

And a garage full of bikes? Oh, the horror! Lol!

Old 04-13-2021, 08:12 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The bikes are fine, but the one car garage part is a problem... lol... and u know when ur working on a bike u need even more room!
Ideally id like to have a 2 car garage w 6 bikes in it

The following users liked this post:
Doc Samson (04-14-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 10:11 AM

Noticed a small oil leak this morning when I was ogling my bike in the garage before work. Its coming from the stator cover, a little drop collects at the bottom portion of the cover. I should go through and replace a lot of the gaskets, almost certain that there is no gasket on the stator cover and its just a thick bead of gasket maker from the previous owner. Its been an excellent year of ownership regardless, I wouldn't be so enthusiastic to tackle all these issues if I didn't like this bike.

The F4 parts bike/flip project thing will probably happen during summertime. There's plenty of space for it, just need to free up time.