F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Compressed cctl pics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressed cctl pics?

Hello, i took apart my cctl to see how it works, now i dont think i am putting it back together correctly. Does anyone have pics at multiple veiwing angles of a stock cctl compressed?

The main things concerning me are, 1) spring isnt holding as much tension as before, due to me messing with it(maybe i could wind it up a couple extra turns?) 2) the c clip which holds the internals together used to have a little gap between the ends beforei took itapart, now the ends just meet up together.

So i think i have put it back together incorrectly, any guidance/advice/pics would be greatly appreciated!

TIA, Mark

Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 PM
WOT
Default RE: Compressed cctl pics?

I would just buy a new one for $60!

Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 PM

Yeah you dont want to put in a cctl that isnt tensioned properly. That would be a shame if a 60 dollar part caused your whole engine to blow.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:52 PM

What is the likelyhood that an improperly tensioned stock cctl could cause serious engine damage? Would it be from too much or too littlepressure? The amount of tension i noticed between # of winds of the springdid not vary much between winds.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 AM

I did the exact same thing and found that I could never get it back together the same way. If you look at the spring, it has a piece on the end that spans the diameter, and that needs to go into the slot at the end of the CCTL bolt. After doing that it will seem as though it winds up correctly, but when I did it the tension was still not the same. I ended up getting an APE and scrapping a brand new OEM CCTL[>:]

Old 07-30-2008, 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Pacs_Legend

What is the likelyhood that an improperly tensioned stock cctl could cause serious engine damage? Would it be from too much or too littlepressure? The amount of tension i noticed between # of winds of the springdid not vary much between winds.
There is a good potential that it could cause serious engine damage..I don't knowexactly how liklely it is, but you w.ould beretarded to risk it...If you're famalier with the mechanics of a motor you would understand.
Here's a real quick link to how the piston/valves work during the strokes of an engine.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1.htm

There is achain that goes around your chankshaft and up around your cams moving the valves.
What happens if that chain looses tension or if the chain skips a tooth is the cam (see picture) won't rotate the valves upward when they are suppossed too...We have what's called an "interference motor" If that cam doesn't rotate those valves up when the piston is @ top dead center the piston will end up smacking against the valves... Since your crank is rotating @ between 1200-10,000 revolutions per minute (that means that the crank is rotating @ over 100 times per second@!!!) this will bend your valves and potentially crack the piston skirt...Look at the picture...Basically Letter M will smack with letter A and J..