F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

common problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default common problems

Hey, I've had one streetbike: the YZF600r. I liked it so much I owned it twice (97 & a brand new 05 models). They were exactly the same, both were even blue!

Anyways, I had only one problem with that bike. On the 97 model I got with 10000 miles and when it hit 20000 or so I started losing 2nd gear. I'm not a master rider by any means, but I do love to learn about and maintain my rides so I was educated and put forth an effort to shift into second with my 05 model. I also put in a shift kit to help make it more positive, but was still not perfect. Sometimes you could slip it in just pefect and it would feel so great. Other times you could try kicking up pretty hard or finessing it by snicking it into 2nd but they were almost never positive and reassuring that it would not crunch, grind or come back out to neutral. I got rid of the 05 with 16k miles and it still acted like new (because it was, I only had it for 6 months).

What I'm trying to get at, is my only problem/concern with Yamaha was the fact that losing 2nd gear was possible and probably more likely to happen.

I've done my homework and have concluded that I want a CBR the next go around. They don't make the 600r anymore, but I don't want a third anyway. IT was a GREAT streetbike, but it had a history of 2nd gear problems, an ugly headlight, quite heavy for a sportbike, cheap (easy to break) bodywork mounts and just not enough of a top end rush.

Now, before I commit to the f4i I would like to ask for your help on what problems you've had with your's or what is 'known to happen' to this model of bike.

Recently I was pondering the thought of a Superhawk and saw they had two problems. The regulator/rectifier and the CCT. I see the CBR has the CCT problem as well.

How is the gearbox? I read the review in the sticky and they said it was clunky. Well thats all well and fine, but how well does 2nd gear engage? I rode my Uncle's 600RR for about 5 miles and that bike felt great in every way, but is too race replica for me and I would be spending major time on the street and not the track. On that bike, 2nd gear just went in. It fully and cleanly engaged without question. Doesn't matter if you kick it hard or sneak it in, it just went. Thats what I want in a bike. I think 2nd gear engagement will be the selling point of my next bike.

Although Im sure this bike will please in the main areas: handling, powerband, easy of maintenance, reliability, eye appeal, quality. I just worry is there something bad about this bike I won't know about until it happens. I know valve adjustments are 16k instead of the 26 of the Yamaha, but that's not a big deal (just means more practice), but a Kawi I was looking at had them every 8-9k...not cool.

Sorry to ramble on, I just want to be thorough in my request for knowledge and I hope you will be as well if you clue me in on how the bike has treated you, how 'fun' maintenance is, and what reliability issues are common on this bike. btw, I looked at a Honda Shadow 600 because my coworker wanted to sell it to me cheaply, but it had problems, but more important, it looked like it would be hell to work on it. There was no room to maneuver tools and you had to take stuff apart to be able to get to parts. I don't want to own a bike that is not a joy to maintain!

thank you for your time
good day

Old 08-23-2010, 02:57 AM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

Yes the CCT is the real main problem but from that i have had no problems. Yes plastics have to come off to work on it but with most bikes it that way and easy to do. I haven't had to replace the cct but people swear by the manual one and never have to mess with it again. With the 2nd gear issue i have never had a problem with it. It shifts nicely and smoothly. You can easy it in or mash it up and no problems.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:56 AM

CCT is the only real consistent problem. Mine has rattled for quite a while - i just live with it and don't ride around at that RPM level (it only rattles in a certain rev range that is about 200 rpm wide - just north of 5000.)

Old 08-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F4i's suffer from cct (lifter) going bad and being noisy.. and I've had problems with the regulator/rectifiers on F2's, F3's, F4's and CBR250RR. Pretty much every CBR600F shares those two common problems but they are easy fixes.

The APE manual cam chain tensioner lifter works great although is a pain to install.

The regulator/rectifier should be replaced with a new OEM one, but make sure to use a really good thermal paste when installing. Lapping the bottom helps too. I did that to the last one I installed and its been great.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:13 PM

I've had 2 f4i's.The first was an '01 with 6000 miles when I bought it. It had over 70,000 when I traded it in. Had to replace the front brake discs at about 50,000 miles as one was warped and was too thin to machine back to specs. I had the valve adjustment checked at about 25,000, no adjustment required. The cctl was noisy but never replaced. It even had the original clutch w/ no slippage when traded in. I got my 2nd f4i, an '06, new and it now has over 48,000 miles, again with no major issues. Change the oil and filter every 3-4000 miles and these things will last forever. Change plugs and air filter every once in a while and they run great. As for the 2nd gear problem you referred to, that usually happens with bikes that have been banged into 2nd gear at redline too often resulting in bent shifter dogs or broken gear teeth. Neither of my f4i's have acted like that. I think if you get an f4i you'll love it. I've been told by several guys, " I used to have an f4i. Wish I still had it!"

Old 08-23-2010, 05:33 PM

Welcome Fella! Great post. You are like me and do your homework before you jump right in. Be patient in finding the right F4i. Although they are bulletproof, a lot of squids like to stunt them. SO go with your gut feeling after test riding.

I have a 2001 with 8000 miles. I had CCTL chatter since day 1 and 500 miles after I bought the bike, I swapped it with the latest revision OEM honda automatic CCTL (J24) . Its like smooth butter now. It is not a very mechanical threatening issue per se, but rather an annoyance and it truley sounds like chit. It is an easy install and you sound like a guy that likes to learn so you could def. tackle it one Saturday with a buddy. its a $50 fix Its funny, I pulled up in my car next to a nice Ducati yesterday at a light and I rolled down my window to compare the sound of the bike to mine..It literally sounded terrible..he had some horrible ticking and wierd chatter and it was funny looking at thye guys face bc I could tell he was embarrassed..Glad I dont have that anymore

Good job on reading the sticky. As it states, early years (like my 2001) have CLUNKY gearboxes...and oh man that is an understatement in my case...I really dont mind it bc I know what gear im engaging/disengaging..As it states this is NOT a mechanical issue it is merely a characteristic of the gearbox..you will notice by the looong throws.

As for the 2nd gear issue...2nd gear, no matter what bike is going to be a bit longer of a throw and you'll need a tad more authority when upshifting into it due to passing neutral!! I will preface this by saying the Honda F4i gear box is not flawed like you described in your YZF's...I have found that if I myself am not paying attention and pu$$y foot it into 2nd that I may hit neutral and rev which is embarassing...but when Im paying attention, it never fails to engage...the only issue I have ever had with my gearbox has been when the bike/oil is hot, downshifting from 2nd into first (i.e. engine braking to a stoplight) sometimes sticks in neutral and I literally have to WHACK on it down to first bc it wants to stay in neutral...overall though...yes the gearbox's are clunky just by design I'm not worried about its durability though

Oh...I almost forgot..with me being 140lb and when im getting low on gas...the bike is light as CHIT...at this point the wind gives me issues But this is a good thing!!!

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 08-23-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 AM

Thanks dudes for your input. You say the early models had a clunky gearbox. That answers a question I have yet to ask, because I just download the 01-03 manual and was unsure if it differed from the 04-06 besides the double seat. I need to find the later revised manual as I would prefer to have a bike with a grab handle on the tail (the 600r has me spoiled on this issue, it had two btw). Even though the banana seat looks lame compared to the awesomeness of the separate seats, it has more function and probably more comfortable, yet it won't keep you from sliding back on hard accels like the separate seat probably does.

"Oh...I almost forgot..with me being 140lb and when im getting low on gas...the bike is light as CHIT...at this point the wind gives me issues But this is a good thing!!! "

That's nice to hear. I once sat on a friend's light bike after riding my 600r around and it felt like nothing was there. Just made me want to flick it around.

Any idea if the 01-03 manual would get someone through maintenance and repairs on an 04-06 model?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:22 AM
Talking

i HAVE NOT HAD ANY PRBLEMS OUT OF MY F4I EXCEPT FOR THE BATTERY. 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 THAT IS OPERATOR ERROR. LOL MINE HAS ABOUT 4200 MILES ON IT SO IT'S STILL A BABY TO ME. NOW I'M IN IRAQ THE BATTERY ISN'T MY FAULT LETS MAKE THIS CLEAR LOL. ANYWAY THE THING I LOVE ABOUT MINE IS THE GEAR BOX AND THROTTLE RESPONSE. THE GEAR BOX LIKES TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT IT TO DO. WHETHER YOU KICK IT IN OR EASE INTO GEAR IT IS VERY USER FRIENDLY. THE THROTTLE......YEA ENOUGH SAID HA! SO RESPONSIVE AND AN ALL AROUND GEAT BIKE