Common problems??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common problems??

So i sold my f4i a couple months ago..and right now i have an 03 R6, which is gonna get picked up by someone else in a week or 2. So I've boiled my choice for my next bike down to an 03-04 600RR for many reasons, but a main reason being reliability. I searched common problems on all of my choices (03-05 R6, 05-06 636, 04-05 GSXR600, 03-04 600RR) and from what i've read so far the 03-04 600rr's have a issue with the regulator/rectifier? This isn't a big deal at all compared to all the problems i read up on the other bikes...so my question is, are there any other common problems with the 600rr's that I should be aware of?

Old 07-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Default RE: Common problems??

ITs a Honda man. The only problem i've had with mine is that i cant get the huge grin off my face when riding!

Old 07-05-2008, 09:47 PM

I always kid around with my friends how if something happens to there bikes i say mine doesnt since it is a honda =].... only problem i have on my 03rr is that there is a loose bolt i cant find near the front end so when i go slow i can hear it rattleing around... but that isn't anything.... [sm=trust_me.gif]get a honda

Old 07-05-2008, 10:05 PM

are you sure its not your key ring???? I thought the same thing til i held down my key ring and the noise stopped

Old 07-05-2008, 11:27 PM

In my experience it is not which bike you get...but how that bike was treated by the previous owner. I have had 3 suzuki gsxr's, 2 honda cbr's, and one yamaha fzr (first bike). All 600's and the honda's have unfortunately been the project bikes. plus one of the gsxr's i HAD to get rid of cuz i couldnt get it lined out. Just try to buy your bike from a trusted source and hopefully you will be ok. Dont buy a bike that has just been sitting a long time without being ridden, its hard on them because most of them are not stored properly. (fuel drained etc.) good luck on your search, buy what you like and what fits you. As to your main question...check the general tech section for common problems that may arise with those particular models.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:23 AM

yeah tmyers i agree with u on gettin bikes that have been treated well by previous owners...but after doing a little research, the 04-05 Gsxr's supposedly have an issue with the secondary throttle valve actuator? which would require the replacement of the throttle bodies. nd the 05-06 636's have an issue with 2nd gear popping out. nd i dont even wanna get started on the R6's. don't get me wrong i'm not hating on any of these bikes...or the manufacturers of the bikes..but when comparing my 4 choices..aside from making sure the previous owner took great care of the bike, it seems that the 600RR is most reliable overall. so yea i just wanted to double check nd see if there was nething else that is a common problem with the RR's. nd i'll go check out the general tech section thanks

Old 07-06-2008, 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: jjsmi

I always kid around with my friends how if something happens to there bikes i say mine doesnt since it is a honda =].... only problem i have on my 03rr is that there is a loose bolt i cant find near the front end so when i go slow i can hear it rattleing around... but that isn't anything.... [sm=trust_me.gif]get a honda
oh my god i hate that, i think its the metal peices that come up by the mirror mounts and help reinforce the front fairing. when ever i get on my bike without a helmet (i always wear it but sometimes i need to move it like a 100 feet or something) I hear it alot more and think, wow this sounds terrible.

it got worse when i changed my windscreen so i am pretty sure its just the front plastics because my new one didnt fit very well.

the regulator/rectifier is the only problem i have had and i am not even sure its that, somethings wrong with the starting system when it starts, but the more i ride it the less it happens, so its not that big of a deal.

other then that its an awesome bike, i think 05 had a few up grades like less weight and more power but not by much. and i think the r/r problem was fixed with a heat shield or something.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:16 AM

ORIGINAL: tmyers7791

Dont buy a bike that has just been sitting a long time without being ridden, its hard on them because most of them are not stored properly. (fuel drained etc.)
+1

its not good for a couple reasons, one being the charging system and the battery, make sure the battery is good and is charged, if not put it on a charger (one meant for bikes) so it doesn't strain the bikes charging system getting it up to full charge again.

I would also change the oil and other fluids when you get it because of what tmyers said, no telling what the previous owner has done as far as maintenance unless they took to a shop every time and has all the receipts.