F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cold + Gravel + 75" on new tires =

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cold + Gravel + 75" on new tires =

After getting some crap on your tire, the best thing to remove it is dishwashing liquid and rinsing with water. You can clean the rims too while you're at it.

As far as the alignment goes, let us know what you find. It seems you've checked everything. When you disassemble the front end, be sure to follow Hondas procedure to reinstall. It's designed to help with alignment as I found out. Use the OEM specified torque values.

But just in case, I'd loosen the forks from the upper and lower trees. Check the steering stem nut, thenreset the forkheight and check that your preload is equal on both forks (stock is 3 lines showing). When she's all back together, double check that your compression setting (on bottom of fork) hasn't moved and that they are equal as well. Then recheck your rebound (top of fork) for the same.

Keep us posted.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good News:
Bought a bigger socket set yesterday (for the steering stem nut) And got to working on it about 10 am today. Tore everything down (again) and took all the fairings off for good measure. Checked the forks for straitness again, good. Loosened the steering stem nut.Put the forks back in to factory height again(when i first took them off after the fall the right fork was about 2 mm higher than the left which was still at factory) Tightened them in to the correct torque(if you don;t have a torque wrench buy one, it's way better than guessing) Then tightened the steering stem nut. I put everything on that is necesarry to ride, no sense put on auxilarry **** only to have to remove it again, and took her out for a spin. Low and behold she goes strait, turnin is equaly easy to both sides, and pressure on the clipons feels even.

Bad News:
My stator cover has a small crack/leak in it. No oil on the floor after sitting for 4 days, and the bike has been up to temp 5 times since the accident. Only a small drop suspended on the cover. I will probably replace it on my next oil change unless it gets worse. Anyone got a stator cover?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:57 PM

Good Job on fixing the alignment.
Get that stator cover replaced. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where my oil leak was coming from. Turns out that I would only have oil seepage when the engine was running. And you know when that was???? WHILE RIDING!!!
So after going through 3 of them, I said heck with it and paid 2X the price of OEM and bought an NRC. Haven't dropped the bike since (at least not on stator cover).

Old 04-06-2008, 09:01 PM

Soft Scrub works awesome on the tires too. When I clean and wax my chain, I use it. Works really good.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:57 PM

BlueJ and i rode an hour one way on monday afternoon to pick up a new stator cover and Gasket from Chaplin Kawasaki. It was the closest dealer to me that had them in stock at the time. May was it cold on the way back. Credit to BlueJ for riding the whole time and not stopping to warm up. I use snowmobile gloves in cold weather, all he had were some warm weather shorties. The front end is still feeling good, everything seems to be all set there. Now to drain my oil and put on the new cover. The mirror should hopefully be here soon. Then besides a scuffed frame slider, she will be good as new!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 PM

I wouldnt even worry about that slider only like 1/8s of it came off if that. I just ordered my scorpion helmet in a small so should be here next week. I did try it on and it feels so much more solid and so comfortable.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:15 PM

New mirror came in from Jagmotorcycles on Ebay. Fast shipping, 3 days from Cali. Anyways its actually and aftermarket but looks near identical to the OEM. If anything i actually like it better because it has a slightly wider viewing angle and actually vibrates less than the stocker AND is easier to adjust. I may actually get a right one just because i like the increased visibility. This weekend I'll be draining the oil and putting on the new stator cover. BlueJ if you want to come over I'll probably be working on it saturday. Grand total for the fix so far: $93 and about 6 hours of wrenching. Not to bad.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:04 PM

Just replaced the stator cover and gasket. Had to drain and replace the oil, only had 400 milessince the last change. Flushed the coolant whilei was at it.Sprayed it everywhere! So the only remainingevidence is the scuff on the frame slider.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:59 AM

The slider is like $6 bux. Whaddup??????