F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help! New Rider with Dangerous Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! New Rider with Dangerous Problem!

Ok so I bought an 01' CBR F4i in September....It has been sitting until tonight April 12....When I was cruising on the highway around 50 to 60 mph...upon deceleration the bike was vibrating and shaking so hard I was almost thrown off! It only seemed to happen upon deceleration...The bike has been lowered with an aftermarket "Tie Rod" type (Adjustable) kit...I also made sure the tire pressures were ok...If there is anyone who may have an idea what may be wrong please resond asap....I love the bike and am excited to ride, but I dont want to take the risk of dumping it every time i hit the highway.
-Anthony,

Old 04-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help! New Rider with Dangerous Problem!

ORIGINAL: Tonydespirito

Ok so I bought an 01' CBR F4i in September....It has been sitting until tonight April 12....When I was cruising on the highway around 50 to 60 mph...upon deceleration the bike was vibrating and shaking so hard I was almost thrown off! It only seemed to happen upon deceleration...The bike has been lowered with an aftermarket "Tie Rod" type (Adjustable) kit...I also made sure the tire pressures were ok...If there is anyone who may have an idea what may be wrong please resond asap....I love the bike and am excited to ride, but I dont want to take the risk of dumping it every time i hit the highway.
-Anthony,
One, IMO ditch the lowering BS n put it back to stock height (this will start WWII). If the front lowered to match the rear? (refer to my first statement ) Check to see if the rotors are warped. I cant think of anything that would do that just while decelerating.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:49 PM

IF you are decelerating with just engine braking and the rear wheels is not in good alignment with the front sprocket (aka the rea wheel is not strait) you could get some serious wobble. You would also notice this while breaking in a strait line with both brakes. Give us some more description on the vibrations. DO they seem like they are coming from the front or the rear? Under direct braking of just engine braking? More info will help

Old 04-12-2008, 10:54 PM

Thanx for the heads up..the only reason for lowering the bike was because im only about 5'5" heh heh...I did my best to keep front and rear suspension level, but it might be a bit off... I will look into warpage on the rotors, but in all honesty I may just have to take it to the nearest certified Honda shop and have them take a full look at it. Im experienced when it comes to cars, but I am new to bikes and am clueless to be honest. Any other recommendations or help from anyone else is greatly appreciated as the weather is getting nice here out in the Philadelphia area and Im getting the "riding bug"

Old 04-12-2008, 10:58 PM

It seems to occur only when engine braking....I have tried front and rear brakes at the same time and individually and they seem to be ok... It occurs when cruising around 5 to 6 thousand rpm's and at highway speeds...(50 to 60 mph)

Old 04-12-2008, 11:01 PM

The vibration (wobble) seems to be coming from the front only....making it very difficult to steer while engine breaking ( in a straight line)

Old 04-13-2008, 12:35 AM

I would check the rotors and whether the from rim is straight, i really don't think it has anything to do with the lowering stuff unless that tie rod isn't straight either.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:51 AM

most likely the dealer wont even touch it, becuase it has been modified, and they could a) be liable for if anyone gets hurt after they work on it b) they wont even begin to touch it because they dont know what they will get into c) they are gonna charge you out the butt.

its also possible in addition to the problems with either the rim or rotors, that your geometery is so far jacked that when you let off the gas, and the front end loads, you start getting oscillation

Old 04-13-2008, 09:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Tonydespirito

Thanx for the heads up..the only reason for lowering the bike was because im only about 5'5" heh heh...
I'm 5'4 1/2" with a 28 1/2 inseam and I ride on the stock height. I'm on my tippy toes for both feet but i usually do the one foot down one foot on rear brake.