F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cold + Gravel + 75" on new tires =

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cold + Gravel + 75" on new tires =

You need between 150-200mi i believe on a tire to be properly scrubed. If it was 35mi straight driving the sides would still be a bit slick. I took mine for a ride and did a bit of waving/weaving in my lane to get the sides warmed up a bit then rode some twistys and it felt ok, i wasnt agressive or anything or normal and never felt like it was going to slide.

People really need to be a lot more carefull with new tires.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:47 PM

I found the culprit!A spot of what looks to be smeared axle grease on the inside of the tire. I can see where the slide occured in the grease spot. So word of caution! any time you mess with your axles and regrease them (as you should) check for grease on either tire where you may have touched it and not even noticed. Time to scrubbed them good!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 PM

glad to hear ur alright and I'm installing frame sliders tmrw before the first ride of the season!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had my chain replaced yesterday and the mech. got chain wax on the tire. i took'er really easy on the home. once i got home i put it on the rear stand, grabbed an old rag and some rubbing alcohol.........started the bike, kicked it into 1st and let the rag/alcohol get the wax off.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:22 PM

I just did the same thing with a heavy grit sanding sponge tonight. Worked well, the wheel feels "sticky" all the way around. Prolly took 100 miles off though.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:47 AM

haha dam your not supposed to do it that much i just went around once or twice lol

Old 04-03-2008, 07:50 PM

So Since i went down the bike has felt kinda funny. Like the front end and back end are out of alignment. At first i thought it was me, but after 30 miles i was convinced something was up with the front end. I put it up on the stands and sure enough the front end is visibly out of alignment. When the triple tree is lined up square with the frame the front wheel looks to be off about 3-5 degress to the left (from the drivers seat) I took everything apart and reassembled 2 per the manual. The alignment got better but its still off. Now i have to wait till sunday to try again (i pull the forks completely out and put a strait edge on the shiny portion. Completely strait. I measured the distance the forks are extended about the triple tree to exactly 1.3 inches with calipers. Any advice i surely need it.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:09 PM

Have you checked your rim and axle for being bent? My guess would be the axle. Take the wheel off and spin it on 2 jack stands (if you have) spin it fast and slow look for any bends or any wobbling of any sort. Then take the axle out and put it thru the bottom of the forks and see if its bent at all by turning it.

If its not of that then maybe the steering nut needs to be tightened or the bearings in there might be ****ed up.

What exactly is the problem is it wobbling, is it pulling is it drifting whats it doing?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:31 AM

The wheel spins strait, the axle is fine. With the top triple tree centered on the bike (eyeballing it to the frame) The forks extend and the wheel is mounted. Now when you compare the wheel to the frame from the same position it looks tilted (i see more of the right brake rotor than the left) i placed a strait edge along the break rotor (flat surface) and ran it back to the fairing on both sides. On the right side of the bike, the straight edge strikes the fairing approximately 2.5 inches FURTHER back than the same procedure on the left rotor to the fairing. Indicating the same visual angle i see from the above test, that the wheel is tilted left.

I'm wondering if A) the triple trees are out of alignment forcing one fork more forward than the other. or B) a fork is bent somehwere after the shiney part, most likely at the joint. Although inserting the axle is easy and seems to allign well one fork to the other.

Blue, I'm gonna try to make it home for noon-oclock on sunday if you want to help me turn some wrenches.

Thanks guys.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:13 AM

Yea id have to come with the car though since its going to be cold. Im right up the street from saint gobain so i can follow you. Might have to take the forks completely out along with the wheel and make sure the triple tree isnt bent which if your saying that one side sticks out further then the front then it must be. Idk how true your forks would be then if the triple tree is bent.

Id like to come take a look though

Quick Reply: Cold + Gravel + 75" on new tires =