F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Close Call Yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close Call Yesterday....

Hey guys, saw my life flash before my eyes yesterday.

Riding up the road going about 55 mph not even a minute from my house there is an intersection. I was going through the intersection and it was pretty busy.

On the left is a turn lane, which is full of cars. This intersection sits on a small hill, so when the turn lane is full, you cannot see the opposite turn lane (for those basically trying to make a U-Turn onto the street I am going straight on)

Approach the intersection, see a big *** bumper come into view. ****. Please god see me.

Nope.

Dude in a big excursion on a cell phone continues to pull out to make his slow *** giant u-turn. Gets into the middle of the intersection see me and the other cars..... and STOPS!!!!!!!!!! Right in front of me guys. I did my best to apply brakes slow enough to slow me down and keep from low-siding. The back end stated fish-tailing bad and the handle bars started to slap back and forth. I was going about 40 up to this point. There is no way I could stop in time.

The guy thank god starts moving at the last second and makes about a 2 foot hole between the curb and his rear bumper. I see this at the LAST ****IGN SECOND and get of the brakes completely, get the bike rolling, and dip around him like somebody else was driving my bike.

Guys, I am so happy to be alive. Please be careful. If I was any newer on this bike I would of probally never gotten a chance to write this.... I thank god I am still here.

..... im speachless....

-Matt

Old 05-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, you! Glad karma worked out.
Take it to heart and learn, for the next time.

I hope you had your gear on, if not I hope this drives home...All The Gear, All The Time. Everybody else paying attention?

Glad you're safe, Ern

Old 05-11-2012, 05:15 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup....one of those OP left turn with an intent U....Good anticipation..

Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, I had on full gear (only jean pants though) with steel toes.

estate4life, I am not sure if that is sarcastic or not. But I was looking for it... and It found me....

neadless to say, at this point I am thinking about selling her.... which I do not want to do at all....

Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Wink

Nope...def note sarcastic.... it's a fact. Majority of these accident is somehow L-turn related...either OP coming from opposite direction, side driveway, etc....that fact that they don't see us....it's scary and i've been in a few of those close calls....but we do our best to prepare, anticipate...expect the worst scenaro is the way to approach it, in order to respect it...

A close call & a death of a close family members or friends will change one person's point of view in life.....but think of it this way, if god meant it to be....you can't dodge the ball. Glad you are ok! and good reflects & anticipation on your part.....experience helps

Originally Posted by 0949er
yeah, I had on full gear (only jean pants though) with steel toes.

estate4life, I am not sure if that is sarcastic or not. But I was looking for it... and It found me....

neadless to say, at this point I am thinking about selling her.... which I do not want to do at all....

Old 05-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

don't get rid of it because of this. you will regret it everyday. you had a pucker moment, get over it. that kind of stuff happens all the time, you just got to see it before it happens.

if it makes you feel better, the bike saved you life. if you were in a car, you would have not been able to avoid it and been injured or killed. think about it.....

Old 05-11-2012, 06:11 PM
February 2012 ROTM

+1...don't play dodge ball with faith...if it's meant to be...can't do anything about it.

One of my old boss that I used to work for about 15years ago...he and his wife with his newborn kid went out dinner at Japanese Resturant...after dinner, he told his wife to drive the car out to the curb to pick him up, he'll take a few minutes to have a cigarette. For the convenience of his wife to pick him up passenger side, he cross the street so when his wife exit the parking lot, she can pull over so he hop in....

Crossing the street was a fatal decision, a car speeding by either drunk or texting etc...hit him....die in the hospital few hours later from internal injury.

Left his wife, kid, and a business...

He was like mid-40 young too....just so innocent, so sad. They never caught the driver...

Some say he was wanting to quit smoking that week...

Old 05-12-2012, 05:46 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I can appreciate sharing a moment and doubt about continuing to ride.
However, this thread is leaving me with the impression of a warm-up to a
'selling my bike'. If you want to offer things for sell, follow the rules.

since you've had your sharing moment, I'm locking this thread.

Ern