F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Chain/Sprockets Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, thanks a lot for all your help, guys. I'm going to purchase a kit tomorrow and I'm looking forward to putting it on. Does anyone recommend a chain lube that they use? Is it even possible to find one that wont throw all the black gunk all over the back of my bike? I founds some Dupont stuff that claims it will. I'm going with a kit that has a EK 520 MVXZ series Quadra X'ring chain. Thoughts on the X'ring vs. O'ring?

Old 04-29-2012, 11:10 PM

Seems like many say X'ring chains are a bit better than O'ring on a few sites I just saw.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I would caution you against getting the 520 kit. It's most likely going to have an alloy (aluminum) rear sprocket. It's going to wear much faster than the other components and have to be replaced sooner.

There is nothing wrong with purchasing a 525 chain, front and rear sprocket separately.

Front Here

Rear Here

Then get your chain where you originally planned. All steel parts that will last.
EK Chain 525 Yellow MVXZ X-Ring 120 Links MVX O-ring RK | eBay

Old 04-29-2012, 11:48 PM

Ok, I will look into that but the kit I found has steel sprockets front and back. The website also has free 3-day shipping which is more appealing at the moment that ordering from 2 different places and waiting til next week possibly.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 AM

Geez you got plenty of suggestions on where to buy a chain now, where was everyone when I as asking? hehe

Old 04-30-2012, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by RedBaron
Geez you got plenty of suggestions on where to buy a chain now, where was everyone when I as asking? hehe
Yep! I've been pretty lucky. Hope you got what you wanted/needed and figured yours out as well.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 AM

Cheers man I'll be throwing a new chain on soon so lookin for a good deal also $$$

Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 AM

Well Motomummy had good deals and was about 10 dollars cheaper than what I'm getting but the site I'm ordering from cuts the chain for you to fit the bike. So like someone listed earlier, Sprocket Center has a great, well priced selction with 3 day free shipping! Good luck

Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Moore.Speed
Well Motomummy had good deals and was about 10 dollars cheaper than what I'm getting but the site I'm ordering from cuts the chain for you to fit the bike. So like someone listed earlier, Sprocket Center has a great, well priced selction with 3 day free shipping! Good luck
If I don't go w/ stock/oem Honda, Sprocket Center is my go-to supplier.

Originally Posted by Moore.Speed
...Does anyone recommend a chain lube that they use? Is it even possible to find one that wont throw all the black gunk all over the back of my bike? I founds some Dupont stuff that claims it will. I'm going with a kit that has a EK 520 MVXZ series Quadra X'ring chain. Thoughts on the X'ring vs. O'ring?
Any good quality chain lube/wax will suffice; PJ1, Belray, ProHonda, Motorex, etc. Most importantly, allow the chain lube to absorb into the chain overnight if possible. They all will throw a bit, just the nature of the beast. However, good even application w/ proper 'curing' period will reduce that amount.

You should consider what IDODirt recommended in going w/ the 525 steel sprocket kit. For long-lasting street application, 525 steel sprockets are the best choice.

Good luck w/ all your choices & purchases.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 PM

I just received my Super Sprox 520 conversion kit with RK Chain. (GB520XSO)

It came with 15 teeth up front and 41 in rear.

I'm thinking this was the wrong part. I wanted 520 conversion with stock teeth of 16/46.

If I decide to keep this how will this thing ride? radically different for a "new" rider? I've never rode an F4i with 15/41 ? Is that even a normal ratio for this type of mod?

Quick Reply: Chain/Sprockets Question