F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Chain/Sprockets Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Smaller, thinner chain means that it will stretch quicker and need replacement sooner. However, it is lighter and has less rotating mass and drag.

Unless you are going to the track an looking to shave off .5 sec or want to do a race type mod, stick with the 525 setup for street riding.

Make sure you get steel sprockets. The aluminum ones are lighter an racier, but wear sooner

Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Moore.Speed
If you have seen me post before, you know I'm new with bikes. I recently bought a 2004 CBR600F4i and I need to replace the chain and sprockets. I just have a few questions before purchasing one. I want a yellow chain and the only one I could find was on its own and not in a kit. It said it was 525x120. I'm assuming the 120 means how many chain links are in the chain (maybe I'm wrong) but what do both these numbers mean and what do I need for my bike if I want to to run stock and not screw up my speedometer or anything like that. Also, what size front and rear sprockets do I need? 16 teeth in front 45 teeth in back? And are these sprockets/chains universal as long as it is the right size I need? Forgive me, I know these might be dumb questions but hey, ya gotta start somewhere! Thanks for looking and for any help you can provide.

Below is a link to the chain I found and I will probably purchase. Take a look and see if it looks right to you or not.

EK Chain 525 Yellow MVXZ X-Ring 120 Links MVX O-ring RK | eBay

Moore.Speed, being unsure of what chain and sprockets to use can be a little intimidating. As for going with color, I think it's a great idea. My wife and I get lots of complements on ours. EK Chain (Enuma Chain) is an excellent manufacturer and makes a great product. You'll notice that Driven Chain kits are actually EK Chains, note the part number MVXZ.

Going with a kit can make it easier as you get everything you need. I read that you're new to bikes so you've got a long future of motorcycles ahead of you. Chains usually come in standard lengths of 120 links. They need to be cut (by you or a shop) to the proper length for your specific application. You can get a chain breaking/riveting tool for less than $100. I know it sounds like a lot, but you'll have it for ever and if your continue to ride, there will be more chains in your future.

Don't be concerned though about buying sprockets here and your chain there. Yes, chain's and sprockets are universal in that the spacing between the teeth and the thickness of the sprockets are the same within a group. All 530 chains are the same width, as are 525's and 520's. The differences are in the bolt hole patterns and wheel hub/shaft openings. Those differ between makes and models of bikes. So, go to where you want to buy the chain or sprockets and find your model/year of bike. I'd recommend that you stick with stock sizes for your bike as far as the number of teeth. You've already got a handful of bike.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Incognito, I searched and searched for the answer you gave me and I finally found it last night before going to bed.

IDoDirt, thanks a lot for the reply! That helped a lot. I plan on ordering from motomummy.com and I plan on going with the MVXZ or RK GXW. Any recommendations there? I will keep my sprockets the same but they offer the chains in 520 and 530 only. Is this ok? And if so, which one to go with? From what you said about 520 being lighter and all, I do not need that. I'd rather have a longer lasting chain. I just enjoy riding it and I do not race it.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:54 PM

Are you still trying to get a colored chain? You can get a RK get w/ stock chain size 525 and stock gearing in gold or silver. The gold one costs a bit more, RK and DID are the oem chains honda uses. I just put an rk kit on my bike a little while ago.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Go with the RK GXW 520 chain. Also get matching 520 sprockets. 525 is hard to find, more exspensive and completely not needed on a 600cc bike when using the better quality chains like a GXW. It has way more then enough tensile strength and its wear index is exactly the same as a 525.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:33 PM

Yes, I am looking for a colored chain (yellow). Ok, that motomummy website has a kit that offers the 520 GXW chain that I can get yellow for about $190. Someone before said the stock chain size was like 108 links or so I believe. Is that right?

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...roductid=16291

Old 04-29-2012, 01:42 PM

The kit on motomummy has a steel chain with rivet master link, steel front sprocket, and the rear sprocket can be made of hard anodized alum or steel. I'd want steel, correct?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:05 PM

May wanna check these guys out before you pull the trigger on a chain. You can't beat it for the money and look at the tensile strength. I put a red one on my 01 Erion and have zero complaints. I cannot verify this, but I suspect they are made by RK (I ordered an extra masterlink from them because they told me their sideplates were thicker than anyone elses and no one elses would fit). When it arrived, it was a RK packaged masterlink. Go figure...
525 O-Ring Motorcycle Chain with 108 Links - Gold

Old 04-29-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Moore.Speed
The kit on motomummy has a steel chain with rivet master link, steel front sprocket, and the rear sprocket can be made of hard anodized alum or steel. I'd want steel, correct?
Yea steel for the rear sprocket. If you want the gold/yellow chain this is the kit I recommend Amazon.com: RK Chain and Sprocket Kit - OEM Gearing - Gold - GB525XSO-108 1062-010WG: Automotive, you can also get it directly from powersportsuperstore's site, they list it as $175 on their site, not sure if they charge shipping though. You will also need a chain tool to rivet the master link, this is the one I used http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...ool/CHAIN+TOOL, I've heard you can also rig one using a cheap harbor freight chain breaker.

Last edited by chambers; 04-29-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:36 PM

Sprocket Center is where i got mine. it has a very nice selection of colored chains.

Quick Reply: Chain/Sprockets Question