F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

chain replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would def say DIY
ur gonna spend the same amount of money on the chain/sprockets no matter who does it
and u can find chain breakers/presses on ebay (i just ordered one of each for about $15 a peice) so ull end up spending $150-$160 dollars total, instead of $300 and like said before ull have the tools forever so if any of ur buddies has a prob, or u get another bike, or ride this one for a few years, anything... so its really not gonna hurt to have
and i would go with the 525
its stronger, it will last longer, and its really not a big difference
the sprockets i took off, the guy had put the 520s on and i got the 525s and i cant even tell a difference as far as weight goes.

You dont have to take ur fairing off
i just did this, well im actually in the middle of doing it, im waitin for the chain and chain press/chain breaker to get here right now

all you have to do is take the cover off the front sprocket, and take ur back tire off
thats it
u dont need to take the fairing or anything off
u really dont even need to be mechanically inclined just make sure that you dont let the bearing fall out of ur back rim when you take it off, other than that its just loosening and tightening bolts.

i have a Q tho:

when you put the front sprocket back on does it need to be to a certain torque??

Last edited by G3NESYS; 03-14-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
First off, no one is insulting your intelligence...Dr. Prime. If you're only gonna use the tools once then a) this is gonna be the only bike you'll ever own? b) you dont plan on puttin 30-40K on it? c) you dont plan on helping any friends wrench on their bikes? And as a "glorified mechanic" you can never have too many tools, and as you'll learn, having the right tools makes any job easier. (especially specialty tools) Nobody suggested buying OEM parts (I agree with your philosophy) Just because its a 525 set-up doesn't mean its factory. You can get an aftermarket kit in any width 520/525/530. And the weight difference between the two aftermarket kits is NOT a "kilo or two". Lets compare apples to apples. If you weigh an RK XW 520 chain and compare it to oh say an RK XW 525 chain, its only gonna be a couple ounces different. Same for the sprockets. Getting the aftermarket kit in 525 with an aluminum sprocket will still cut the weight alot, and its gonna last longer than the 520 kit. The tensile strength of the 525 chain is much stronger than the 520 (same chain mfg.) Thats why the 520 is NOT recomended for "liter" bikes. And FYI afetrmarket parts are NOT designed to increase your bikes resale value, they are designed to increase performance, or to enhance appearance. Just because you spend thousands in aftermarket parts doent mean you'll get thousands more when you sell it, maybe a couple hundred more. The only thing you can do to help the resale value is to maintain your bike properly and keep records. (And dont drop it)

ok ok skoob.. I wasn't insulted, I'm not a mechanic anymore, and i have three more semesters of undergrad before i go to med school. Dr prime does have a cool ring to it though lol. I'm not really concerned with longevity or tensil strength because i don't ride my bike like i need to get to the next stop light before everybody else or even take it to the track. A 520 aftermarket chain and sprocket kit will be more than enough to last the rest of my time with this bike and function above OEM standards. since my bike is a 2001, it will make it more appealing to the average potential buyer who will likely see it as an upgrade; this will indirectly increase the resale value. also, to clarify when i was comparing weights i was referring to the difference between aftermarket and OEM.

genesis i'd use the torque specs.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:45 PM

you can't say that aftermarket means higher quality
if you go with DID or RK that is the case, but I've had customers go back to used OEM sprockets after getting other less expensive brand names bc they would make chattering noises because the inside teeth weren't cut properly on the drive sprocket

personally i'd get a 525 chain, you say longevity doesn't matter...but unless your bike is for sale right now I wouldn't say to forget about that aspect of all modifications you might make
and as mentioned earlier almost all modifications will not affect your selling price in a positive manner, especially those inclined towards increased performance

Old 03-14-2009, 05:45 PM

also, how many miles are on your bike?

Old 03-14-2009, 06:56 PM

the bike has 12,000 miles on it. i know from first hand experience that it's easier to sell a tastefully/lightly modded bike (ie no gay spikey fairing bolts etc) with good quality parts on it. you guys are saying "keep the 525" because of it lasting longer but seriously if i'm getting an aluminum sprocket i'd have to replace that wayyy before the chain. I'm going with a 520 DID chain and vortex/regina sprockets or possibly stealth because they look pretty cool and probably last longer than vortex because of the steel teeth.