F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Chain replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:43 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain replacement?

I bought new tires yesterday pirelli diablo corsa 3's. I don't know about you but i love new tires I also had to buy new brake pads... cool... done.

I had them mounted and balanced by a local shop here. With the tire off I had a better look at my rear sprocket and seen that I need to replace it ASAP. So the shop Special ordered the Rear and Front sprockets. Might as well I figured. But the Chinese Bastard that I am couldn't wait to find the exact parts online for less then half what the shop quoted me. now they have some Chain's on hand for something like $180. My question is... Why do i have to go with what they have?

To me a chain is a chain. So here I am thinking... What should I replace my OEM chain with? Do you guys have any Personal preference?

the sprockets I ordered are stock specs:

JTR1307-45 JT Rear 45T
JTF1307-16 JT Front 16T

Any help would be appreciated

Old 11-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wattufaka
To me a chain is a chain.
You couldn't be further off base with that statement. You sure the hell wouldn't put a bicycle chain on your bike.You need to get a chain that is the right size for your sprockets (I assume it's 525, since the shop proly gave ya a set to match your current (stretched out worn out proly ready to snap) chain.) Common sizes of chain/sprockets are 520, 525, and 530. The "5" is the pitch and the "20", "25" ect. is the width. The wider the chain, the stronger it is, the smaller the chain, the lighter it is. Alot of folks think that putting a 520 kit on their bike will make it faster, that's true...in theory, but in the real world you'll NEVER notice the difference between a 520 kit and its 525 equivalent. That is untill you have to change em again sooner than you should. As far as chains go, get a name brand one, one with the X ring type of o-ring, it holds in the lube better than a standard o-ring.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Banned

Awesome I really didn't know anything about sizes. thanks for the help. I think I'll go with the EK SRX X-Ring Sealed Chain - 525 Size

Old 11-22-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
You couldn't be further off base with that statement. You sure the hell wouldn't put a bicycle chain on your bike.You need to get a chain that is the right size for your sprockets (I assume it's 525, since the shop proly gave ya a set to match your current (stretched out worn out proly ready to snap) chain.) Common sizes of chain/sprockets are 520, 525, and 530. The "5" is the pitch and the "20", "25" ect. is the width. The wider the chain, the stronger it is, the smaller the chain, the lighter it is. Alot of folks think that putting a 520 kit on their bike will make it faster, that's true...in theory, but in the real world you'll NEVER notice the difference between a 520 kit and its 525 equivalent. That is untill you have to change em again sooner than you should. As far as chains go, get a name brand one, one with the X ring type of o-ring, it holds in the lube better than a standard o-ring.
How much more wear you figure a 525 delivers? Ever compared them on the same bike?

I'll be replacing my chain shortly and am starting to shop. It's got 17k on it, with no tight spots and very little stretch. Stock chain. I clean it a lot.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...now they have some Chain's on hand for something like $180...
I sure hope you didn't pay $180 for that chain.

Btw, welcome aboard.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Banned

I got my JT Front sprocket in today.

Nope, didnt buy any chain yet. heres my rear Vortex and whatever chain this is. oh buddy!! Time to change!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:03 PM

Has that chain every seen maintenance? ;-)

Are you changing the chain & sprockets yourself?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Banned

I got this bike for a trade for my AE86 coupe. to me its well worth it. its my 3rd f4i and this bike was beat to sht. Its 99% stock, 30k miles for a '03 its seen better days. the Chain currently sounds like a tank, I will have the sprockets installed at my good friends shop. I am an aviation mechanic so i know my stuff so don't think im some inexperienced kid. I dont use this bike as a daily. but slowly its coming together. X.x

Old 11-22-2010, 09:51 PM

...the Chain currently sounds like a tank,
Good description. I can imagine.

I will have the sprockets installed at my good friends shop. I am an aviation mechanic so i know my stuff so don't think im some inexperienced kid. I dont use this bike as a daily. but slowly its coming together. X.x
Wasn't thinking that at all. My only intention was to help if needed.

Congrats on the bike.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Banned

No worries bro i was just throwing that out there. This forum has a very helpful community. shoots!!

Quick Reply: Chain replacement?