F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Chain cleaning / lube recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently cleaned and lubed my chain. I read a whole how-to before hand. The writer said kerosene and any CHAIN SPECIFIC lube. Just be sure whatever you use to clean is a non-harsh degreaser. (Purple power, anything else at an auto parts store, talk to them. I forgot what the name of the degreaser they suggested was, but the guy at the counter said it'd make the grease drip off which it pretty much did, even used it on some plastics with no problems yet, and i think it was semi-specific for cleaning chains). I'm not saying WD40 wouldn't work, i never thought of it, again i just asked the auto parts store which i should use and they walked me over to an aerosol can of chain specific o-ring safe lube. Sprayed on clear and haven't noticed any fling, i think it dried in about 10 min, although i do need to re-lube soon. I'm a newb, but the auto parts store guys will usually help you out, especially good because then you can ask and buy in the same place.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:51 PM

oh and make sure you apply the lube to the inside of the chain so there's less fling. It'll work it's way to the outside of the chain.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:39 AM

OK So flame on if you must but I use WD40 to clean the chain with the grunge brush. Then I wipe it clean and repeat if needed. Once clean I just use WD40 to lube the chain. The Orings keep grease inside, anything you put outside will not get inside the rings hence its just a waste. I find chain lubes/wax/what have you attract more dirt than anything. Its the dirt that kills a chain. Never had a chain fail on me and my friend whose been riding sportbikes and races them for the past 20 years uses the technique (learned from him) and he has never needed a new chain. Only replaces them once sprockets are worn. For reference, my f4i sees about 20k miles a year since i ride year round and in all weather and also sees track days. WD40 works perfect for me!

Old 10-05-2011, 02:31 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

I really dont agree with using WD-40 as a lubricant, I was a bicycle mechanic for 4 years and went to Barnetts bicycle Institute and got my BSE 1 as tech 2.0, I would never use WD-40 on my bicycle and wont use it on my motorcyle or anything else to lube.

But this is right off the WD-40 website

"The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture. This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving the oil behind. A propellant (originally a low-molecular weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) provides gas pressure in the can to force the liquid through the spray nozzle, then itself diffuses away.
These properties make the product useful in both home and commercial fields; lubricating and loosening joints and hinges, removing dirt and residue, and extricating stuck screws and bolts are common usages. The product also may be useful in displacing moisture, as this is its original purpose and design intent."

So if you want to use it go ahead WD-40 says it will work there are plenty of people who swear by it and who use it on the daily.

Last edited by CJardine; 10-05-2011 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Grammer
Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 AM

+1 for WD-40. i currently have 19,000 miles on my DID chain and steel sprockets. the chain is still in great shape with no stretching, and the sprockets show very little wear.

i also like the dupont dry wax spray, and i've gone through a few cans of it.

i only bother with lubing the chain every 500-1000 miles, depending on how dirty it is or if i've ridden in the rain.

don't fear the WD

Old 10-05-2011, 01:10 PM

stupid question.. is the original chain on the cbr 600 f4i an o-ring chain ?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJardine
These properties make the product useful in both home and commercial fields; lubricating and loosening joints and hinges, removing dirt and residue, and extricating stuck screws and bolts are common usages. The product also may be useful in displacing moisture, as this is its original purpose and design intent."
My concern with WD40 is wondering how it knows to penetrate past threads on stuck screws and bolts but not penetrate past the O-Rings on a motorcycle chain and start to dissolve the grease that is packed in the rollers.

I sometimes use it to remove some grease spots on other areas of my bike but not on the chain.