F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

THE CCTL Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Thought I'd give some input since I just did a major on my bike including the CCTL again. A few people have claimed the rattle might be from the tip getting loose. Comparing my old one to the new one, the tips are loose the same, so that ain't it. It is just as hard to retract the old one as the new one as well, so I'm not really sure whats causing the rattle yet. I'm going to take apart the old one and see if there is something internal.

Also, I did this without removing anything besides the overflow tank for the radiator[and that I just moved a little not removed completely]and lifting the tank. 5mm socket allen and long extensions are your friend for this job!

Last edited by boredandstroked; 01-30-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im glad i came across this thread,my bike also makes the same sound,but i couldnt figure out what the noise was.when i first got the bike it was kinda loud at a certain rmp,but then it got a lil quieter.now i just have to figure out how to fix it

Old 02-26-2014, 02:45 PM

My bike at 14000 was a silent as death but between 5 - 6.5 it sounded like ball bearings been shuck in a biscuit tin . A genuine Honda CCT was used and its now as quiet as deep space right through . Overall bill was £140 . Worth every penny though .

Old 02-26-2014, 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=boredandstroked;1263548]Thought I'd give some input since I just did a major on my bike including the CCTL again. A few people have claimed the rattle might be from the tip getting loose. Comparing my old one to the new one, the tips are loose the same, so that ain't it. It is just as hard to retract the old one as the new one as well, so I'm not really sure whats causing the rattle yet. I'm going to take apart the old one and see if there is something internal.

Also, I did this without removing anything besides the overflow tank for the radiator[and that I just moved a little not removed completely]and lifting the tank. 5mm socket allen and long extensions are your friend for this job![/QUOTE

Its the spring in the CCT that loses its ... spring lol . Simple as that .

Old 02-28-2014, 04:31 AM

I have a strange light noise, almost like a chain is flopping around and trying to hop off the teeth. Seems to only happen when the bike is warm and has been riding for a while. My chain is not loose, right where I believe it needs to be.
The other weird thing is, if I pull in the clutch when coming to a stop (this seems to really be the only time I notice it), I hear and feel it. Almost like something is clanking around or it's trying to shift gears, but there aren't any issues with shifting or the transmission it seems. I'm starting to wonder now, if it is the CCT. 17K miles on it, no idea if the previous owner did it (though it's doubtful).

EDIT: Had the chain and sprocket done and the issue is gone. Must have been a bound up link or something?

Last edited by ObsidianOne; 03-29-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 95RogueM3
There has only been 1 documented issue of actual failure on this forum (and I have been researching like no tomorrow) in which the timing skipped and valves were bent. Otherwise all the "failures" you read about are simply that bolt head vibrating around and being annoying. At what point that annoyance might actually result in bent up valves is up in the air.
I think I may be number two. I replaced mine once around 15K mi. Didnt replace it again when I started to hear the bees again at around 39K mi. I was warning up the bike last week and heard a pop sound. Took it to the shop yesterday and my mechanic ran the motor for two seconds (loud ticking sound) and said it sounds like the timing skipped. He won't know for sure until he takes it apart and looks at the damage.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:04 PM

I need to replace mine. If I order an OEM one off of partzilla does it come with that little tab thing that keeps it locked back?

Thinking of just pulling mine off and seeing if it is just stuck before ordering a new one.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Joshua Rodriguez
I need to replace mine. If I order an OEM one off of partzilla does it come with that little tab thing that keeps it locked back?

Thinking of just pulling mine off and seeing if it is just stuck before ordering a new one.

It comes with the lock to keep it pulled back, but if it shouldnt be "stuck" back, the spring is what pushes it forward. If its stuck, its no good in my opinion. But to answer your question, yes it comes with it.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:47 PM

What part number for a stock replacement do you guys use?
14520-MBW-J20
14520-MBW-J21
14520-MBW-J22
14520-MBW-J23
or
14520-MBW-J24

I'm not sure which one to buy

Old 10-07-2014, 11:28 PM

Is it possible and safe to use a F3 CCT on F4i? the manual ones are the same for both the engines? I have brand new F3 CCT with me and my F4i CCT has offlate started giving up. Guys pls let me know if it would be safe to do so?

Quick Reply: THE CCTL Thread