F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

THE CCTL Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvslaz
Im looking into replacing my CCT soon also, but I'm not sure if that's that problem. When I accelerate it almost sounds like a go kart or lawnmower. If it wasnt for my exhaust my bike would sound like total crap. Any insight on that guys?
film it and post up a video so we can hear the sound.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:58 PM

it should rattle..mine did it when i release throttle at 3-4k rpm

Old 06-24-2011, 08:52 AM

So I've got a quiet clicking or rattling noise at low RPM (and when I say quiet, I mean sometimes I'm not sure it's there, other times it's noticeably there but I still have to listen for it to hear it). Most likely my CCTL? Or valves? The bike has almost 17k miles on it.

Also, would it be bad for the bike if I ride it like this?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Default Neutral

I am changing my cct now and made an error. I did not put the bike into neutral before beginning process. Do I run the risk of messing something up if I just put in into neutral now? Also, I did not have time to put the new part in last evening so I was just going to put the old one back to prevent moisture from getting in there and it would not re-enter. This related to the neutral issue?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only mistake you made was not doing your homework...

It doesn't matter what gear the bike is in, (or neutral)

Moisture (small amounts) in your motor doesnt matter either. It burns off in a matter a minutes after startup via the PCV.

Finally, what sense does it make to reinstall the OLD cctl to prevent moisture from gettin in the motor when you can just as easily install the new one?

Last edited by Sick97SS; 07-08-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:29 PM

Finally, what sense does it make to reinstall the OLD cctl to prevent moisture from gettin in the motor when you can just as easily install the new one?[/quote]

Could not wait for the mail... As a result of my stupidity (and with my awesome luck), I am stuck with a missing package from usps and a bike that wont move! Hopefully it shows soon!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:43 AM

Finished the swap and my bike sounds AMAZING! Seems like it has more torque too although I can't quite imagine how. Took me forever until I bought the ball hex's and a snake with a light and grabber on the end. Lost my bolt twice!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I got my APE CCTL yesterday. I will review all the instructions and decide if I want to do this this evening or wait until Saturday. I can't wait to see what it's like without the extra chatter.

I'm also waiting to get my FPR, but its on back order.

I'll post up results when I am done the CCTL install.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I couldn't wait until Saturday. My FPR arrive and I was so psyched that I had to do both, the CCTL swap and the FPR swap.

I did mine today and it wasn't that hard. Just need some patience and possibly some small (thin really) fingers. Another thing I would recommend if following the directions posted earlier for the manual APE tensionor, is to use 1/4" everything (reversal, drive extension and 5mm bit). I only had 3/8" and while it wasn't impossible, it was difficult.

Also, having an off/angle 16mm open wrench would be a big plus. I thought I would get buy with a gear wrench, but the space is so tight you will have to tighten the lock bolt on an angle for most turns using an open wrench.

The adjustment was't that bad. I just took very small steps after the tightness and where the sweet spot was with no zinging, I tightened it.

The only problem I possibly could have, but can't figure out is if I have a new very very minor high pitch zing at high RPM's or if it is rattling from my aluminum under tail or exhaust or something in my trunk. The sound doesn't come from the motor area like before so I am at an impasse. I will ride on Saturday to see if I notice it while riding. I only had the bike stationary and was revving it to hear.

Edit:

Also, my rattling/chattering wasn't that bad before. After the install of the manual APE, I know I was in the beginning stages of the CCTL issue. Still, at just around 4500 miles, I am glad its done.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 PM

Thanks to all who have participated and added to this thread.

Just did mine today, got it set to the right spot, and the bike sounds amaaazing now. I feel like its smoother in low rpm response too, though it might just be me.

She screams now!

Quick Reply: THE CCTL Thread