F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

THE CCTL Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my bike at 7k miles and it was in desperate need of a new CCTL...replaced with Honda's latest OEM auto J24 CCTL...now at 11k (Only 4k later) I'm starting to hear the ticking throughout all rpm's again, just not as bad AS OF NOW...specifically at 2500rpm...Good job Honda..you've only had 20 yrs to figure it out

Old 04-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Here is a question for everybody. I saw a video on youtube of this guy doing a tune up on an 02 f4i. his solution to fixing the cct was to loosen then re-tightened the bolt to fix it. Besides the simple fact that you would have to do all this work every time it starts to tick. My question is more out of curiosity then anything. I believe mine is starting to go bad so I will fix it after I get the time and money
YouTube - How to fix that scary noise on your CBR bullet bike

Last edited by karl10250; 04-11-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: wrong video 1st time
Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 PM

Im curious about this

Seeing as the noise is coming from the TIP of the CCT Lifter...and the OEM is spring loaded...wouldnt merely twisting it back (engine off of course) and "re-springing" it just put it back to its original place? Seeing as the OEM CCTL auto-adjusts at different revs..how can this work/alleviate the issue?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:52 PM

well the theory that it seems he has in the video is that when it failed the spring stopped working so it is not auto adjusting anymore. then when he tightens it all the way which puts it to where it should be. I found another video where he talks about it a little more and he doesnt mention loosening it so maybe that part was a slip up. but either way he says he just tightens it once every year and he doesnt seem to have a problem.. It seems like as long as you do it every year and dont put it off all the time then it could be a decent (and inexpensive) fix. any one else done this or thought about it? / had bad turn outs doing this?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 PM

No one has any professional input on whether or not merely taking off the nut and screwing the screw tighter alleviates the rattle?

I feel like if this was legit, people would know about it by now

Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 PM

idk. but also I found this the other day when I was browsing around. https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-tos-8...r-mods-106703/
and he has put alot of miles on it. it cost him 5 bucks after getting a new cct

Old 04-14-2011, 02:25 AM

The oem cctl can only go one way when its in use, out not in. So all hes doing it winding it out till it hits its next click and thus cannot go back in again and takes up some of the cam chain slack.
I dont see it being a bad idea as long as you dont go crazy and wind it out to many clicks.

Another method ive heard is to push your bike along while in gear, against compression and if/when it gets to a lose spot on the cam chain the lifter will pop out another click.

Last edited by Monkeh; 04-14-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:21 PM

I replaced my OEM CCTL 3,500 miles ago. I got the newest version J24 Auto OEM replacement. Now 3,500 miles later, its chattering again. It's odd..it comes and goes..but it is most def at almost ALL rpm...ok not ALL but def at 2500 rpm and 4000-6500 rpm..it just seems like its always there...its not terrioble but noticeable, edit: it can get terrible at 2500rpm. I think by nature the OEM CCTL is just prone to disaster due to the poorly designed and fabricated tip. You would think after 20 years of complaints that Honda would make the 2cent change for a new tip...nope, theyd rather us keep buying em every 6 months to a year! If you think about it, its good revenue so why fix it! I'm going APE as soon as the rattle get redunkulous

Old 05-13-2011, 06:55 PM

just did my cct yesterday..i found it easier to remove the tank anyways..got a question is it supposed to have some kind of oil or fluid in the cct itself? i noticed that the new one i got doesnt have a bolt at the end of it but the factory one in the bike had one. I just simply swaped the bolt but..now that i think about it..i don't know if there should be anything it.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by dan5
just did my cct yesterday..i found it easier to remove the tank anyways..got a question is it supposed to have some kind of oil or fluid in the cct itself? i noticed that the new one i got doesnt have a bolt at the end of it but the factory one in the bike had one. I just simply swaped the bolt but..now that i think about it..i don't know if there should be anything it.
Yes you did it right..that hole needs to be plugged with the old OEM bolt...The CCTL does not come with that bolt...the oil you saw was most likely oil from inside the case ; ) There's no fluid inside the CCTL itself

Quick Reply: THE CCTL Thread