F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

cbr rods/pistons

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cbr rods/pistons

hey guys, let me break this down

im doing a custom turbo setup on my bike. this isnt for performance (obviously its a performance upgrade). im not new to turbo physics, i have all the mechanical work done as far as charge piping, oil lines, turbo/manifold (just an up-pipe).

but my questions are:

what HP are the rods limited to?

i have turbo'd dozen of honda cars, and each motor either has a HP limit (single cam civics are limited to about 200 reliable whp, or 230 with a greater chance of problems with the tooth pick rods).

is there a boost limit that you would recommend not going over?

i basically need the bike to be boosted safely on stock internals if thats even possible. if its not possible, what is a good manufacture of rods/pistons to handle some added hp without increasing compression?

thanks for any input.

stephen

Old 07-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Default RE: cbr rods/pistons

If you've turbo'ed cars you know that any mod you do ruins the reliability of the car in the way of horsepower. The CBR already runs 12.0:1 compression. To put any amount of boost into that is to create a gernade. As far as the pistons they are are a high compression style NOT DESIGNED FOR TURBO. You will want to find lower compression pistons, or have them dished by a shop who can do that (which aren't very many). I wouldn't want to guess at the boost to run but not much for sure. You can use the NO2 systems as a benchmark. The fogger kit for the F4i runs about a 50 HP boost, and if Honda bikes are like their cars they are built to handle double the stock stresses (this is why Honda makes some of the most reliable motors on earth).

The bikes run forged rods to handle both the RPM and the compression stresses, they are also very small thus making them stronger. I wouldn't worry too much about them. A concern I would address would be the head gasket. You might think about going to the race head gasket as it is a little stronger and designed for higher compression. You just have to find a shop that will deal in HRC components. I know the race bikes run over 15:1 compression so the gaskets can take a beating.

Good luck on the project, post some numbers once you get it done. I'm really curious at how much boost you can run and the power increases.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:16 AM

ive seen plenty of peopleturbo there f4i's without upgrading the internals. you might look into droppign ur compression down and boosting her some more. im like u turbo dozens of cars and a few race cars. if what the 2nd poster said, if they forged then they gonna hold, its like boosting a type r since its all forged, that bitch will hold some boost. just make sure u got enough fuel dumping into her to keep it going

Old 07-21-2007, 08:14 PM

type r internals arent froged, the pistonsare coated to withstand more heat with the higher revs.

bird,
i appreciate the input. the turbo setup (mechanical) is under way. the up-pipe is nearly complete along with the oil lines and down pipe. im hoping that the turbo we have now (GT15 ball bearing) would be fine at around 4 psi.

the bike is for advertising only, hence the reason why i was asking if the rods/pistons are safe enough for a low hp turbo kit. granted it will still be daily driven and taken to the track... im just trying to get across that we arent going for numbers, we are going for at "hey, thats a turbo bike. i want to go see what that shop has" effect at car/bike shows.

thanks, and any input is appreciated.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: SmokeShank

type r internals arent froged, the pistonsare coated to withstand more heat with the higher revs.

bird,
i appreciate the input. the turbo setup (mechanical) is under way. the up-pipe is nearly complete along with the oil lines and down pipe. im hoping that the turbo we have now (GT15 ball bearing) would be fine at around 4 psi.

the bike is for advertising only, hence the reason why i was asking if the rods/pistons are safe enough for a low hp turbo kit. granted it will still be daily driven and taken to the track... im just trying to get across that we arent going for numbers, we are going for at "hey, thats a turbo bike. i want to go see what that shop has" effect at car/bike shows.

thanks, and any input is appreciated.
lol negative ghost rider jdm type r is forged internals rods/pistons, usdm have forged pistons. the f4i will take a low power turbo all day just tune it correctly and make sure u got injectors to support what u want. if u need those i can get u any size u want for a cheap *** price, my boy works for a injector manufacture. dont wanna argue bout the cars but ur f4i will take it no problem.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:15 AM

my buddy locally just picked up a dyno jet to tune bikes. he has been tuning for years now, just finally got his own. he'll be doing the tuning.

and let me tell you what a PITA to fab the intake manifold box (boost proof). i think i nearly have it done. now, to connect the charge piping from the turbo to the intake manny without alot of piping showing. im actually contemplating on using some rubber tubing (aka like stock DSM charge piping) for most of the piping that mainly goes around the engine. i doubt im going to have much problems with 4psi and the pipeexpanding much.

the turbo is looking quite nice sitting under the tail though. pictures soon.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:45 AM

lol o man take the pipe and do the pipes, remember if ya ride her in the cold she gonna boost bout 2-3 more and may blow the hose's off. i hated that when it happend on cars thats a PITA when u dont wanna fix it. since shes already ripped apart do her right