F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

CBR F4i 2004 won't start

Old 07-23-2017, 05:30 PM
REM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CBR F4i 2004 won't start

Hello everyone,

I had my bike sitting for a couple weeks since I needed to replace the rear turn signals and front mirrors. By the time I got that taken care of and tried to start the bike - it won't fire up. I here the Injection bit come on when I switch the starter down. My friend who rides an R6 came by and after trying to start it, determined that it was my battery.

I purchase a new battery and swapped it out yesterday but it still wouldn't start. Today I used the trickle charger to top off the battery since I read that it needed X amount of juice to start, and wanted to avoid that being a factor.

Full battery- won't start. I noticed that when it's in first gear and I try to get it going, it'll give some forward momentum but still won't start.

What should I look at next? Can this be a cause of the turn signal hook up in the back? They work fine and at a normal speed so I figure I connected it all right.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, looking for answers and getting back on the road!

Old 07-24-2017, 02:00 AM

If u don't hear fuel pump prime and headlights are not on when u turn key on. Then it's the knock down sensor wires lose on left side of headlight. Wiggle wires when key is on and will hear fuel pump prime and headlights will go on. And will start. If fuel pump primes and headlights are on and still won't start it's not the wires.

Hope this helps. Is a easy fix if is ur problem. Mine never did it again after I wig
Led wires and made sure they were all plugged in good.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:20 PM
REM

Thanks for the reply, I will wiggle some wires today when I get home from work. However, the lights currently do come on and I hear the fuel pump prime.

The Bike will chug and chug but not have the engine turn on and start running.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:38 PM
REM
Default Update

Bumping to see if there are any other idea? Maybe the starter plugs?

I removed the seat today and played with the wires that i connected (disconnected one of the turn signals) but still same result where the bike won't start.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-27-2017, 01:06 AM

Doesn't sound like it's the wire harness by the headlight is the problem since fuel pump primes and headlight works. Only time mine would not start at all it ended up being the stator in the past and lose wire harness by headlight just recently. Stator is only thing that has went out on it so far. It would just turn over but wouldn't even try to start. Took to mechanics that time. And they were convinced was knock over sensor. Or a kill switch hidden. But Ended up being stator. If u haven't checked that then may want to. Not an expensive fix esp if u do it ur self.

.......Well now u know what may be wrong if ur headlight ever stops working and fuel pump don't prime at least. Lol. Seems like a common thing that happens to our make bike. Don't even need tools to fix. I literally just reached in and wiggled wires and headlight flickered and pump started. Pushed plugs together good and never did it again. Had to leave in savemart parking lot all night when wires came loose. Found solution about loose wires on this site and went down at first light and took three seconds but if wasn't for this site there's no way I would have ever wiggled those wires...ever...lol I'd still be messing with it and it's been a couple months...lol oh and it would start and stay running if u held starter button down when wires came loose but headlight still would not come on and would die as soon as let starter go.

When stator went out it never came close to starting. At all.

Last edited by Mike Burger; 07-27-2017 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:14 AM
REM

Hey everybody,

So here's my update. I had a mechanic come by and look at the bike (he was horrible), and after a long while he determined it was bad gas and we drained the tank. He checked the starter plugs and said they were a bit wet but fine. Told me to wait 2 days for them to dry and then put in about a gallon of gas and give it a try. 2 days later I did just that and it still won't start. Today when I tried again, the electric will cut off when I rev and the display will disappear and then come back. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 08-09-2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by REM
Hey everybody,

So here's my update. I had a mechanic come by and look at the bike (he was horrible), and after a long while he determined it was bad gas and we drained the tank. He checked the starter plugs and said they were a bit wet but fine. Told me to wait 2 days for them to dry and then put in about a gallon of gas and give it a try. 2 days later I did just that and it still won't start. Today when I tried again, the electric will cut off when I rev and the display will disappear and then come back. Anyone have any ideas?
Hmmm. Did he check the stator? Doesn’t sound like it’s that though. I don’t remember display going off when mine went out. Even when wires were loose th display never went off I’m pretty sure. Only the headlight would go out and couldn’t hear fuel pump go on and prime. It would start also but would die if I let off starter. Sounds like it’s electrical if gauges going out.

Just a question, why didn’t u just buy new plugs instead of soaking in gas and waiting for them to dry? I know bozo told u to but they are only a few bucks a piece for new ones and then u could have been sure wasn’t the plugs. Lol

Sorry I’m not more of a help. I don’t know much about motorcycles. Stator and wire harness loose on left side of headlight are the only two things that have happened to mine so far. Good luck. Hope you find out what it is. Can’t be that bad if it ran before it was parked for two weeks and you

Old 08-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by REM
2 days later I did just that and it still won't start. Today when I tried again, the electric will cut off when I rev and the display will disappear and then come back. Anyone have any ideas?
Wait so you did get the engine to run? ("rev")

Old 08-10-2017, 06:47 PM

If you did get it running, and the display is fading when you rev it, check your battery with a volt meter while it is running and see what the voltage is.

Last edited by wot34; 08-11-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:54 AM
REM

Final update:

Since I felt the battery was failing after sitting for a bit again without starting, I used a battery tender and charged it up. Added some fresh gas and after a few attempts, I got her running and working again. Very happy to be able to jump back on the bike.
However, now I see the stupid mechanic left some line unattached, I hope it isn't anything too serious. Thanks everyone!