F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Buying an 05 F4i for $2,800

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Buying an 05 F4i for $2,800

Tomorrow I am buying an 05 f4i for $2,800..
Is it me or is this a pretty good price?
There is hardly any info on pricing for these bikes and I'm not sure why.

Thanks guys just wanted to see what you thought.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:28 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say it is a good price, assuming good condition, mileage, maintenance. There is alot that goes into a price. If its in a good nick than go for it! Those are great bikes.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 PM

Not knowing anything about the bike it seems like a pretty decent price. Like Corrupt said condition, mileage, maintenance etc can make a big difference between good deal and crappy deal. Not sure on your experience with bikes but if your new to the game or this is your first bike I would suggest bringing along a buddy that is knowledgeable about motorcycles to help assess the bikes condition and possible things you may need to do to get it up and running safely on the streets. I took a friend with me when I bought my first bike and he was able to point things out that I never would have thought to look for. Good luck with it if you do buy it and be sure to post pics for us to enjoy.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:54 PM

I just bought a 2001 F4i for $2,800 so I would say that's a good deal. Mine is almost in mint shape though, never been laid down.

Are the miles low? It can't hurt to ask why they selling it so low.

More info about the bike would help to accurately answer your question.

Last edited by Zeranoe; 11-16-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:07 AM
Registered Users

4,500 miles good looking tires Jardine exhaust system... However he said there were scratches so he replaced the plastics and they're not perfect but what after market kits are clean title though

I've been riding a buell 500 all summer i saw this price and feel like its a steal and a severe upgrade.

What are some usual f4i things o watch out for ? I'd much rather not get duped.

Thanks for the replies

Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few things I'd look out for.
- When you first get to the bike, if its outside or in a garage, check the ground. If there is a leak under the bike, inquire about it. Usually the seller will move the bike though so hopefully you don't notice. Think to yourself "Where would I park my bike here?" and look at the ground at these locations.
- Before you start it for the first time, check to see if the engine is warm. I've seen it before where the bike has engine problems where it won't want to start cold. The seller will usually warm the bike up before hand to make sure it starts. If s/he says they just rode it home or something, ask to come back the next day or something when it hasn't been running.
- For these bikes, they are pretty bullet proof. After the bike has been running for a bit, check the oil. Frothy "coffee like" oil means water - walk away
- The chain tensioner is a part that goes. At low rpms, especially when the engine is cold, there might be a ticking sound. This should go away at higher rpms. If the CCT is bad, its a $50 part. If the noise doesn't go away, it may indeed by ticking from the valve train.
- Does the owner have the original plastics? The aftermarket ones are usually of inferior quality. Its the damage to the oems isn't too bad. It might be worth repairing them.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:52 AM

im about to buy a 2005 cbr f4i as well .. for $2500 though. the problems on mine consist of a dead battery .. one of the harnesses were cut because someone attempted to steal it and its needs a new key cylinder.. hopefully everything goes well

Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 PM

I bought mine for around 3700 with 6000 miles on it back in '10, so that doesn't seem too bad. Like has been said before, the CCT will need to be replaced sooner or later (waiting for winter, getting my tank repainted) but that shouldn't be too bad if you have some tools and basic knowledge. I have chinese fairings on mine and kept my originals just in case, and mine fit just fine. The only thing I might add is to bring a multimeter and see if the bike is charging, from what I've gathered the stator/rectifier are fairly prone on these, i'd want to check and see if the voltage to make sure it's charging. Other than that, these bikes are really good starters.