F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Blowing my headlight fuse randomly..?

Old 03-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Default Blowing my headlight fuse randomly..?

Hey guys, so i made a post a bit ago about my headlights having problems, turns out i blew a fuse and then when i replaced the fuse i blew both headlight bulbs, i then replaced the bulbs and the lights worked fine.

I recently replaced the bulbs with a DDM tuning kit and had the fuse blow after i rode the work and was trying to show off the lights to some co-workers.. the fuse blew when i turned on the high beams while the bike was NOT on.. I put a new 10 amp fuse in and shes good to go.. so my questions are:

Does anyone have any ideas why the fuse is blowing? Its not doing it while im actually riding around and the bike is vibrating/etc... they always blew while it was sitting.

If they make a 15 amp fuse can i just put that in their and be good to go? I dont want to worry about the headlights going out when i ride to work at 3:30 in the morning.

Any input is appreciated guys, thanks.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:15 AM

No don't use a higher rated fuse. Fuses blow to protect your wiring. You have something on your headlights circuit drawing too many amps. Usually this means a short to ground. Look for frayed wires, worn insulation, and melted plugs. If you'd like a lesson on theory feel free to pm me or ask and I'll explain when I get to a pc.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:17 PM

I was having the same problem with my HID's.. i also checked all of my wiring, connections, and grounds and everything was good.. I believe the issue is, these are drawing just over 10a to start both bulbs up when cold, which pops that 10a fuse. I put in a 15a fuse and that seems to have solved the problem. The guage of wire seems to fine with it. To be on the safe side, I leave just the low beam on, and then turn the high on after the low is warmed up.. then i shut the high off when i turn my bike off, and ive just created a habit of this..

Old 03-13-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by mdelima353 View Post
I was having the same problem with my HID's.. i also checked all of my wiring, connections, and grounds and everything was good.. I believe the issue is, these are drawing just over 10a to start both bulbs up when cold, which pops that 10a fuse. I put in a 15a fuse and that seems to have solved the problem. The guage of wire seems to fine with it. To be on the safe side, I leave just the low beam on, and then turn the high on after the low is warmed up.. then i shut the high off when i turn my bike off, and ive just created a habit of this..

If that's the case this is a feasable option. The wire can hold more than ten amps but it's not recommended for any length of time.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by Survivalism View Post
Hey guys, so i made a post a bit ago about my headlights having problems, turns out i blew a fuse and then when i replaced the fuse i blew both headlight bulbs, i then replaced the bulbs and the lights worked fine.

I recently replaced the bulbs with a DDM tuning kit and had the fuse blow after i rode the work and was trying to show off the lights to some co-workers.. the fuse blew when i turned on the high beams while the bike was NOT on.. I put a new 10 amp fuse in and shes good to go.. so my questions are:

Does anyone have any ideas why the fuse is blowing? Its not doing it while im actually riding around and the bike is vibrating/etc... they always blew while it was sitting.

If they make a 15 amp fuse can i just put that in their and be good to go? I dont want to worry about the headlights going out when i ride to work at 3:30 in the morning.

Any input is appreciated guys, thanks.
Do you have the 35W or 55W HID's?

The 35W's should only pull about 6A at start-up and the 55W's probably around the 9A at start-up. So if they are the 55W that may be why they keep doing that.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:15 PM

they are 35w.. but im thinking they are rated 6a starting each ballast/igniter.. so to fire both up, im thinking 12a?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:16 PM

Im running 35 watts as well.. ill try and get the fuse to blow tomorrow morning by turning the bike on cold with both headlights on and report back

Old 03-13-2011, 11:01 PM

i was having this same problem...when i turned my bike on with boths lights my low beam light would flash on and off...also blew 2 fuses trying to figure it out...i seen on the DDM site they said upping your fuse 5 amps can help...i got some 15 amp fuses so i'll mess with it tomorrow