F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Blinker issues? confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinker issues? confused

ok i have a 2001 honda cbr 600 f4i.. got the bike not running but got the ignition issue fixed. now im puzzled about the blinkers. someone installed 2 led blinkers in the back and nothing up front. so i figured i would put the leds up front and oems in the back for the time being. when i hooked up the oem in the back it worked great for a minute then the turn signal quit working so i turned off the ignition then back on then turned on the opposite side blinker and that side worked and turned the side with the oem and nothing. i hooked up both leds to that side and it blinks. the oem light works great i can hook up power to it and it lights up with no issues. i dont like how my blinkers go 90mph lol. anyone have any idea why when i hook up the oem blinker and put it on that side it dont work? the flasher relay deal in the headlight harness is getting 12.6V and putting out 12.6V.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:56 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The blinker box depends on a specific load to determine the blink-rate. The led's
require a lot less current to function. Because of the load on the circuit has been
reduced, the blinkers will operate at a faster speed.

When properly installing the led's (to replace a regular bulb), a resistor is added to
the circuit (in series) to simulate the normal load the blinker-box is expecting.
If this resister was inserted into the harness (instead of the led light housing, itself),
it may be it's staying behind when you changed the lights location. Thus putting
double the load on that circuit (the regular bulb+the resistor), preventing the bulb
from getting enough current to illuminate.

That's my guess, based on your description of the situation.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 AM

well they blink pretty fast.... it blinks as fast with the leds as it does without any bulbs.i will try some different small bulbs. and see if i can figure someting out. if not i will just go back with leds and will order 2 more for the front.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:11 AM

thanks for your input though.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:29 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dj600f4i
well they blink pretty fast.... it blinks as fast with the leds as it does without any bulbs.i will try some different small bulbs. and see if i can figure someting out. if not i will just go back with leds and will order 2 more for the front.
I had the same issue.

You said the PO had led on rear & none in front. How did it blink? Was it blinking ok previous. Then you switch led front & oem rear, start blinking fast...

1. First, see if the PO install the load resistor? It's one for each led bulb in the rear..most likely he did...

2. When you switch the led bulb to the front, meaning no load resistor in front, so your oem Relay detected this, so they blink super fast, as if you have a blown bulb.

3. You either install the load resistor for each led bulb, in your case is the front R/L. Or you can replace the relay with a no load relay from superbrightled.com

I just order mine for $11

Old 03-19-2012, 09:06 AM

they were blinking fast ever since i started working on this bike.the blinkers never were blinking at a normal speed always super fast. i dont see anything on the wires to make the led light slow down. the leds were on the back of the bike.and nothing was on the front because when i got the bike i had to put all the body together and the guy didint have the front blinkers,mirros,or fairing bolts but i guess when you pay under 500 bucks for a bike then you can afford to order parts ha.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 AM
February 2012 ROTM

So previous owner install the led without resistor for each bulb. This will mean your oem relay ( one that clicks during signal) thinks you have a blown bulb or missing bulb. So it flashes fast....

Best to replace relay....with a no load, led ready relay..

Superbrightled.com

There is 3 to choose from under motorcycle section. Honda should be the second one but best if you pull yours and see how the connectors look?

they were blinking fast ever since i started working on this bike.the blinkers never were blinking at a normal speed always super fast. i dont see anything on the wires to make the led light slow down. the leds were on the back of the bike.and nothing was on the front because when i got the bike i had to put all the body together and the guy didint have the front blinkers,mirros,or fairing bolts but i guess when you pay under 500 bucks for a bike then you can afford to order parts ha.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:30 AM

ok well i got it working with the oem lights in the back. when i hooked up the oem light on one side it still blinks fast. lol every now and then the blinkers will quit until i tap on the relay so i am guessing i will be needing a new relay. thanks for yalls help. i really appreciate it.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:15 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Talking

dj600f4i,

I just got my relay from superbrightled.com yesterday, took off my oem relay & plug right in. Works flawless, w/o clicking. I got mine for $11 shipped. Purchase on Firday, received Monday.

check this thread:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-t...l-bulb-135528/

I got the#LFl -S-FLAT

working on my 900rr, and Roadijeff is a 1000rr, most likey it will fit honda. you can pull yours out & double check the connect style.

ok well i got it working with the oem lights in the back. when i hooked up the oem light on one side it still blinks fast. lol every now and then the blinkers will quit until i tap on the relay so i am guessing i will be needing a new relay. thanks for yalls help. i really appreciate it.