F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike won't start. What now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start. What now?

Yeah So I'm driving home the other day and I start dropping RPM's cruising at like 40 MPH. OK... so I bump up the throttle a tad. No effect. I bump up the throttle a little more, and the bike lurches forward. Weird. A few seconds later, I'm slowing down to do a left turn, Put the clutch in and the bike stalls.

I pull over to the side of the road and try to start it a minute or two later. It runs great.

I park it in my garage and leave it in overnight.

Now all hell is breaking loose. I put the key in and flip on the electrical. Both my turn signals are on, the neutral light is on, the high beam light is on, the low oil pressure light is on. Basically every light is on except for the FI light and none of them extinguish. I flip the kill switch to the on position, and the fuel injector doesn't work. I go to start the bike, and it starts up just fine (as long as I have the starter engaged). As soon as i let go of the starter, the bike dies.

Now what?

Old 07-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Default RE: Bike won't start. What now?

you might have a ground fault problem. i had the same thing on mines a few weeks ago.
do your search on this forum to save time and see what common issues you have with other riders.

common symptoms are that all the things on the panel would say lit but the headlights are not on(sometimes). aslo, you need to have the starter engaged in order for the bike to stay on. my issue was a poor connection with the turn signals. other riders had problems with headlight connector to harness and few others had a connection inside the handle bars break off.

one way to see if its a connection problem is by taking out the head light fuse. if the bike starts up with out problem; then you could have a mis/poor wiring some where.
good luck

Old 07-15-2007, 05:03 PM

Thanks man, I'll do some searching. It's weird, because before, the starter would engage but the fuel injector wouldn't engage. Now, the fuel injector whines up, and the starter won't work. WTF???

Old 07-15-2007, 05:26 PM

pull the fuse and see what happens.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: alekinci

pull the fuse and see what happens.
The headlight fuse?

Yeah I did some searching and found out a lot of other people had problems like this.

Sorry for spamming.

Actually, my bike runs great I just have to hold down the starter. As soon as I let it go, the bike dies.

1 hour ago it was the opposite. The FI would fire up but the starter wouldn't work.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:02 PM

Pulled the headlight fuse. My turn signal and high beam lighs now extinguish but the bike still won't turn over. I've read a lot about this problem in the forums. It seems like when you pull the headlight fuse, the bike will fire right up. My fuel pump fires up and everything looks good. Starter sounds strong, but it just won't turn over.

This is actually my first bike, so i'm a n00b. Any simple explination would be greatly appriciated. I'm half tempted to rip the entire bike apart and mess with every wire.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:11 PM

another piece of information i left out: i just changed the oil and i've been trying to start it to get the oil pressure light to extinguish. the bike has yet to run with the new oil.