CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Bike won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start

I'm a new rider and just got this used cbr f2 yesterday and i'm having a little bit of trouble getting it started. My buddy got it started no problem in the morning, but it started giving me some problem in the afternoon. I put a new battery in, filled it up with gas, made sure the gas *** was pointed down, turned the choke lever all the way up, turned the idle all the way to the right and it just won't start. I could get it started yesterday but wasn't able to keep the engine on unless I gave some gas. And even then, this popping explosive like noise kept coming out of the pipe. Today I recharged the battery and I almost got it started. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. I'm trying to find any possible problems with it.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Default RE: Bike won't start

i'm also a new member with a bike that's new to me , having similar problems, how long was the bike sitting before you got it? how old was the gas that was in it ? i would start by replacing the plugs. let us know what happens, good luck.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:57 PM

Sounds like you need a carb cleaning, which means removing them...get a shop manual and it is fairly straight forward

Old 04-29-2005, 05:48 AM

well the plugs might not be the problem ..it might just be flooded it is so darn easy to flood these older bikes even the shop guy flooded my F2 the day I got it...might be easier to just plug charge cables on the battery while starting and then when you get it started ..run the crap out of it.....Thats what I did and I've got no problems since...Once you get it running you will learn the bike ..like mine I cannot give any gas while starting....and if you are trying to gas it while you got the choke all the way on its bound to flood hella easy...

Old 04-29-2005, 08:14 PM

According to my buddy this bike was sitting for over 8 months. There was a little bit of gas left in it, but I filled it up with fresh gas. I tried messing with the plugs, but didn't get very far with this. I finally broke down and took it to a shop. Once I know I let you know what happened. Thanks for your help

Old 04-29-2005, 08:16 PM

Hey Sirlimpzalot, You know where I can download a shop manual/ owner's manual for free?

Old 04-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sitting for 8 mos without starting is just hell on carb bikes. Always start with the easiest stuff first.

1 -- plugs. remove a plug and leave it connected to the wire. ground it to engine and hit starter and check that it's sparking. check if plug is fouled or electrode is eaten. shine a light into plug hole and see if top of piston is carboned up or relatively clean.

2 -- remove airbox and squirt a little starting fluid into each carb intake (really, just a squirt). hit starter and it should fire. ***keep your head away from the carbs - a backfire won't kill you but will make you soil yourself*** If it fires up but dies after a few seconds then you need to pull off the carb bank and clean them (get the book). If you're getting a spark (see 1) and it won't fire at all with starter fluid then take it to a shop -- timing has jumped or some other problem exists that you won't be able to repair.

I'm confused about 'turned the idle all the way to the right' -- are you referring to the idle adjustment ****? If it will run if you keep giving it gas then perhaps your only problem is that the idle is set too low. Turn the **** 2 full turns out and try again -- once you get it running and it's warm set the idle at 1100-1300 rpms.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:03 PM

Not sure where a FREE service manual is available for that bike, but I do know that CLYMER makes one for about $30, and I can sell you one for the CBR600F2 for only $23

Old 04-30-2005, 06:24 AM

biancho look under the post manual there is a download there

Old 05-22-2005, 08:34 PM

Ok, I know it has been a while but just thought I let you know the results of my bike problem. Took it to a shop and after they replaced the plugs, changed the oil, and sincronized the carb, the bike started just fine and has been running great.

Quick Reply: Bike won't start