F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike Quitting on me mid-ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Quitting on me mid-ride

I've posted a few times on this as I keep having the issue and then I think I find it and sure enough a month later its back...

I will be riding, doesnt matter the speed/gear it has happened at various speeds, and the bike will loose power, not shut off or stall, the tac goes to 0 and nothing happens when I hit the throttle. Ive looked for bad grounds, broken wires, bad fuses, bulbs, battery connection, battery load, fuel pump ground, all is good.

The weird part that I have noticed is its worse with higher tire pressure. So that leads me to believe it is still electrical because the more rigid the ride the harder the bump so its easier to trigger what ever is happening, right??

Should I just replace the wire harness and be done with it? Or is there another potential spot I am over looking?

Old 11-13-2015, 09:04 PM

I went back and read your previous post and it feels electrical to me. What ever happened to wiggling the wiring leading to the instrument cluster and getting the tach to drop? Did that get resolved?

You may have to painstakingly dissect the wiring harness looking for a chafed wire. You could also have a something that is vibration sensitive. Have you tried tapping on the ignition components with a hammer?

Looking at the parts diagram I see your bike has a bank angle sensor. What are these for on the F4i? Nothing more that a fancy name for a tip-over switch to cut the fuel pump?

On one bike of mine I had an intermittent short that would keep the bike from starting. It went on for over six months. When I finally tore the harness apart I found a tiny section of wire that had been slowly arcing to a bracket. Fixed it and never had the problem for three years.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Check/bypass your BAS

Old 11-19-2015, 01:40 PM

The wiggling the wire harness went away when I took apart/cleaned the contacts. It was just a loose connection that I was hoping also caused the bike to short out, but was wrong when it continued to behave the same way. What ever it is its very picky because if I ride with low tire pressure (20-24psi) I have no issues, but higher psi 32 and up it shorts on almost every bump I hit!

I never thought about the BAS, yes they are essentially a tip over shutoff. I am going to try that this weekend. If not there's a very good electrical guy here in JAx and I think Im going to throw in the towel and just take her in!

Appreciate the help and I will post the results in case someone ever has an identical issue.

Last edited by Steven Montesano; 11-19-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Default Finally found it!

Turns out I had 2 separate issues. The first was there was a broken wire in the kick stand switch, which makes sense since it would still short when I bypassed the switch. And the second was a wire in the harness that needed to be re-pinned because it was loose enough to be pulled out of the harness.

It may take me a while to trust the bike because after 2 days I still wait for it to shut down on me every time i hit a bump in the road, but that will come with time i believe.

Now time for some upgrades!

Old 12-26-2015, 03:10 PM
Ick

Man, 2 fricken culprits? Hope it's staying on.