Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Quitting

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quitting

So dunno how many picked up on this, but I am/was a smoker. Been smoking for about a year, got to about 10 a day or more depending on day/circumstance. Recently, me and my best friend (who was also the one who got me to try my first cig, and I got him addicted by buying for a few months while he was underage) decided to quit. Did that friday afternoon, found a cig saturday in my car and smoked it (old ones always taste so good[:'(]) then went to a party saturday night and had two more. Since then I've been clean, and it hasnt been easy. Me and my friend found ourselves bored out of our minds during times we would usually smoke and this made it all the harder to not just go up the street and get some.

Just wondering about people on here who have quit. How bad does it get? are the first few days the worst? About how much time does it take for the bad cravings to stop? (just writing about it is killing me with a craving) And I'm guessing the whole "I'm just going to have one cig to soothe the craving and stop again" doesnt work?

I know I know, 2 days is not a big deal at all, but It feels like an amazing achievement to me so far.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Default RE: Quitting

Grats man ! I smokea pack a day. I know it's gross but im not ready to give it up yet, been smoking for 10 years along with boozin and druggin. I gave up the booze and drugs on Sept 6 and only had a few beers the other night, so im not ready to quit the cigs yet... but soon. One thing at a time i guess, their next.

But i know how ya feel, it does feel good to accomplish something like that for youself. I got locked up a few years ago (it happens....) and had to quit smoking obviously and my lungs felt great.. don't know why the first thing i did when i got out was buy a pack of smokes. Anyways i slept the first week of it off, just layed in bed and slept as much as possible to avoid the withdrawls... After i couldn't sleep no more i was pretty much over it. So give it a week and it will get easier, if you can't notice it yet you will in another day or so, that you lungs will start making big improvements pretty quickly.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 PM

Congrats on deciding to quit. This is the best time for you to do so since you havent smoked for a very long time and that you dont really smoke very much. All in all no matter how much its still bad for you.

I smoked for 10 plus years at about 2 packs a day, last April I just decided to give it up(cold turkey). I havent had a single cigarette since that day. You need to find an outlet for when you have cravings you need to be set on not smoking. You'll also need some sort of motivation, mine was my wife who had been pressuring me for some time.

Beware of certain friends who will try to bring you down. If they know you are quitting and keep offering you a smoke you should stay away from them untill you know you can absolutly resist it.

Keep it up and good luck.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:31 PM

For now my outlet is just listen to music and fight the craving. Driving is no joke without cigarettes, WOW, it's tough
I have lots of reasons, for one I'm not comfortable with even a number like 50 toxic chemicals in my cigarettes, come to find out there's 1200!!! The other is I just plain don't want to risk cancer, now these don't give me determination so much as my stubbornness does and my drive to prove I can do it.

My girlfriend smokes though, that's not gonna be easy, hopefully I can get her to quit soon too.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:33 AM

good luck man. Having a gf that smokes is probably going to be your toughest challenge. Hopefully she respects you enough to either go outside to smoke or at least not do it in front of you.

Ive never smoked, but all of my family does. Needless to say, everyone I know smokes out side my house and my vehicles.

I think you should buy something that cost the same as yoursmokeseveryday to symbolize your cost that you are saving. I know, your not really saving anything if your buying stuff, but once you actually see how much stuff you can buy and actually show something for it, I think it will be easier to justify it...along with your health and stuff. Heck, you stop smoking a pack a day, thats a new motorcycle payment..... it adds up.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Banned

Man, I've been smoking about 5 years and I'm a pack-a-dayer now. I smoke upwards of 2 packs in a day when I'm drinking at night. I smoked WAY too much this weekend and have only had like 10 in the 2 days since, but I am seriously considering quitting too. I did buy a pack yesterday, but I smoked 2 and felt guilty so I threw the pack in a fire I built in my back yard. The ONLY way to avoid temptation is to not have it.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:06 PM

Nobody likes a quitter man...

I smoked for 15 years, from 13 till 28 when I graduated college. I promised my gram that when I graduated college, and life (was supposed) to become less stressful, I would quit...so I did. I went 2 years strong w/o one, then I started to break down and now social smoke on Friday nights when I'm drinking with the guys, bumming them. So you'll never really get rid of it.

The easiest way I've found to stop, was when a big life change happens to you, like new car, new job, new house, something of this nature...just be strong and try to drive w/o smoking, or don't take smoke breaks at the new job or don't smoke in your new place...and then after a while it just becomes the routine, so it's easier to stop since you never did smoke at work and it starts to become the norm...this is how I did it. I hope this makes sense to whoever is reading it...but it worked for me.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Banned

My Mother died from smoking a few years back, I was holding her hand when she flat-lined at the hospital. She was hooked up to a few machines and it really was aweful to experience.Her quality of life was fairly miserable for her last25 years, couldn't walk up stairs, couldn't enjoy vacations, in the last few years she needed oxygen 24 hours a day. She died from not being able to exhale the carbon dioxide that people normally doand her body went acidic and basically just stopped working.

2 days is great start. You may fail, but you should keep trying until you finally quit. Good luck, dying from smoking is really avoidable. Losing your quality of life and ruining your time with your family should be enough for anyone to quit.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:12 PM

Smoked two plus packs a day. Finally decided to quit. My doctor prescribed zyban, once a day. That stuff is incredible. It was like I never smoked, no withdrawal or crankiness and I haven't smoked since (7 years). I will say that you have to be ready to quit or nothing will work. Good Luck!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:55 PM

well went through today without a jam, kinda wanted one, but not half as bad as the first day. Been told the first day is the worst. We'll see how the rest of this week goes. I do think I might social smoke, but we'll see, I don't want to fall back into it. I have a friend whose dad has smoked idk how many years and he keeps quitting only to start back up again.

Quick Reply: Quitting