F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Auto choke not coming on. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto choke not coming on. Ideas?

Hey guys,

A few months ago i stacked it and i was about to leave for OS soi gave the bike to my mate so he could put it back together and ride it around. He did so but when i came back the thermo fan andswitchwhere dead (replaced now). But there was also another problem.

When i start the bike the FI light comes on for about 15seconds and the choke doesnt come on. But the FI light turns off the bike idles fine and there is no drama at all. The other weird part is that when the bike is warm the bike will not idle til the FI light turns off, this means that u have to manually control the revs with the throttle which is a real pain the ***.

We i pulled it apart and mymate put it back together the only things wedid were:

Takeoff the tank
Takeoff the airbox
Remove vacuum lines
Remove inlet trumpets
Fronfairing and all the wiring connectorsup the front.
I dont think we touched anythingtodo with the throttle bodies or butterflies or anything.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing thechoke not to come on? Or what the FI light is telling me?

When the sidestand is on the FI light stays on and blinkstwice every 15 secs or so but when the bike is in gear its goes off and doesnt blink.

Sorryif this doesnt make sense but pleaselet me know what u think.

Regards,
Shane

Old 09-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Default RE: Auto choke not coming on. Ideas?

Don't know what the issue is, but the f4i doesn't have a choke. Are you talking about the fuel pump?

Old 09-12-2007, 07:21 AM

It has an autochoke that is controlled by the coolant. I doubt this is the problem if it idles fine when the FI light goes off. You said it blinks twice when the kickstand is down which leads me to believe it is probably flashing some code at you that you have to go look up. Maybe the map sensor?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:25 PM

Can someone that has a manual please look it up for me?
Or if someone can link me to a manual that would be great too.

Regards,
Shane

Old 09-12-2007, 05:25 PM

Pretty sure it's the map sensor. Think I read it in another post the other day. Dont quote me on it though

Old 09-12-2007, 06:34 PM

a code 2 is a MAP sensor code. however, you have to check to see if it is in fact that code or not by jumpering the diagnostic wire harness under the seat. i'm still currently trying to figure out the problem with my bike. i got a code 2 so i bought a used MAP sensor from a cycle salvage place. i installed it and the light hasnt came back on since i cleared it out, but the idle is still funny on a cold start. it wouldnt idle aboe 1000rpm and i'd have to hold the throttle open as well. i then hear something click and the idle jumps up to normal. when i took it for a test ride, it kept backfiring on me when i let off the throttle. it started idling funny at a stop light. i decided to just ride it back home, but on the way back, the bike ran perfectly. no backfires, no idle problems, nothing. im stumped as well.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: kneepuck

a code 2 is a MAP sensor code. however, you have to check to see if it is in fact that code or not by jumpering the diagnostic wire harness under the seat. i'm still currently trying to figure out the problem with my bike. i got a code 2 so i bought a used MAP sensor from a cycle salvage place. i installed it and the light hasnt came back on since i cleared it out, but the idle is still funny on a cold start. it wouldnt idle aboe 1000rpm and i'd have to hold the throttle open as well. i then hear something click and the idle jumps up to normal. when i took it for a test ride, it kept backfiring on me when i let off the throttle. it started idling funny at a stop light. i decided to just ride it back home, but on the way back, the bike ran perfectly. no backfires, no idle problems, nothing. im stumped as well.
This sounds like a very similar scenario. Ok il jump the diagnostics and probably buy a new map sensor. Thanks guys il let u know how it goes.

Regards,
Shane

Old 09-13-2007, 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: kneepuck
i then hear something click and the idle jumps up to normal.
a relay click or mechanical click? in your case it almost sounds like your autochoke is sticking, maybe you could try flushing your coolant if you havent done so

Old 09-14-2007, 04:31 PM

i'm about due for flushing my coolant, so i'll be doing that this weekend. but i commuted my bike (35 miles each way) yesterday and it ran like a charm. no problems whatsoever. seems like the new (used) MAP sensor is doing its job. either way, i'll be flushing my coolant