F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Anyone know the PA rules for license plates?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone know the PA rules for license plates?

Hello everyone,

Recently, I did the homemade fender eliminator. I used my previous license plate bracket and just screwed it onto the fender eliminator. Now I want either a swingarm license plate bracket or I want to just screw the license plate flat to my fender eliminator.

My question is, do anyone know what are the rules with either the swingarm license plate bracket or if I screw down the license plate to be flat on the fender eliminator?

I saw a couple of nice bikes down in Dallas, TX while staying with my sister and I like the idea of the license plate screwed flat to the fender eliminator.

I just need to know will I pass inspection if I use either and if there are any license plate light requirements?

When I return to Philly, I will stop by the shop and ask the guy who inspected my bike last year, but I just want to get a heads up so I can order the swingarm bracket if I decide to go that route.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:35 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-13-2010, 12:34 PM

I've been working on my stunt game recently and needless to say my bike looks like its falling apart. I have no blinkers, one bulb in my rear brake, Only fairing is a BUSTED up tail and a ****ty gas tank.

I scraped my plate off sunday and ended up zip tying my plate to my undertail, pretty much behind my battery so its DEEEP and I had a cop fallow me for about 2 miles yesterday with no problems lol I was doing up the hand signals and thought for sure I was gonna be pulled over but it was cool.

I say as long as your plate is readable from about 20 ft back you should be legit, just eye it and use common sense and you will be good.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Based on section 175.160 of the PA code:

§ 175.160.
Inspection procedure. (a) External inspection. An external inspection shall be performed as follows:
(1) Verify ownership, legality and proof of financial responsibility. For the purpose of this subchapter, ownership and legality shall be proven by a vehicle registration card, certificate of title or manufacturer’s statement of origin.

Reject if one or more of the following apply:
(i) When vehicle ownership and legality are demonstrated by presentation of certificate of title or manufacturer’s statement of origin:
(A) The VIN is not in agreement with the vehicle registration card, title or manufacturer’s statement of origin. Exception: If only one digit is incorrect or two digits are transposed, and the owner provides evidence that the appropriate Department form has been completed to correct an error or transposition.
(B) The VIN plate is not securely fastened or is defaced, misplaced or missing.
(ii) When vehicle ownership and legality are demonstrated by presentation of vehicle registration card.
(A) The license plate is not in agreement with the numbers on the vehicle registration card. Exception: If only one digit is incorrect or two digits are transposed, and the owner provides evidence that the appropriate Department form has been completed to correct an error or transposition.
(B) The license plate is hanging loosely from its mounting bracket.
(C) The license plate is obscured so that the numbers cannot be identified.
(D) The license plate lamp, if so equipped, does not illuminate the license plate.

From the highlights in red, if I have a license plate light, it has to work and illuminate the license plate. If I don't have a license plate light, it doesn't mean I will fail inspection. And, as long as my license plate is readable, I will pass inspection.

Now, I know that this information can be interpreted in more than one way, and that is what the law allows for, but I guess I should be good.

Thanks for the info. I think I will be good either way with the swingarm bracket or the license plate bolted flat to the fender eliminator. Now I just have to decide which look I want.

I found a swingarm license plate bracket on Ebay for like 60.00 shipped, but I think I would like the look of the license plate being bolted flat to the fender eliminator (especially, since I don't see many bikes with this setup!).

Old 04-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically, if it looks illegal, it is. I haven't changed mine yet due to not only a luck of money, but a place to work on it (living in a different home), and legality. I had a state trooper say "The kids with the plates all tucked up and hidden are normally the runners. He said, I understand they all aren't, but we're going to radio it in that X bike is going X direction and may be a runner before we pull you over.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:19 PM

Make it look good, keep it lit, and visible. How I did mine, but remember, being legal is more important than looking good.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by JEFF4i99
Make it look good, keep it lit, and visible. How I did mine, but remember, being legal is more important than looking good.
How did you do yours?

Got any pictures?

Thanks.