F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Almost smashed into a guard rail under heavy breaking.....

Old 06-05-2009, 04:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by musantemike
I was in back country stamford CT following a friend and went around a turn last night and it was sharper than i anticipated..so i layed on the brakes hard...and all the sudden my handle bars began shuddering back and forth very violently almost throwing me off the bike...luckely i got control before i hit the guard rail..with my heart in my throat. But did this happen because i braked hard while the wheel was turned...and would a steering damper or whatever its called prevent things like this from happening.

Thanks in advance ,

mike
Well Mike, sounds like a nasty close call man!

A steering damper wouldn't have created a noticible difference in the almost accident. Be a little more cautious on unfamiliar is better than any steering damper could hope to do.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by joey_f4i

i actually saw an older gentleman with his son (could not have been a year older than 16) buying an 08 cbr 1000rr at my local dealership. The rep took the bike outside to the parking lot, he turned it on and the kid jumped on it. He obviously did not know the first thing about riding, he turned it off at least 6 or 7 times before stuttering forward a couple of yards then killing the bike once more and then dropping it on its side.... All the father did was laugh as did the little kid.... I was very disturbed.
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

Old 06-05-2009, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rennen
the no helmet law is BS. at my university, i see so many people that ride scooters without helmets. they think that since they don't go as fast a motorcycle, they don't have to gear up. they don't realize 30 mph is the same on a scooter or motorcycle.
dude dont even get me started on the tank top, sandles board short, sunglass wearing peeps going down archer road near butler plaza while talking on the cell phone on the scooter...

Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 PM

^i've seen that. lol. are you in gainesville?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:59 PM

^i've seen that. lol. are you in gainesville?
yeah. not for much longer though. moving to mississippi in 2 weeks or so

Old 06-05-2009, 06:54 PM

That's common in any college town, and will probably always will be.

Kids with mommy and daddy's money spend...well, you guessed it, their money on the bike, and don't think they need gear.

Or don't have the brain to comprehend what gear is, since they have an invincibility complex.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:08 PM

take the MSF course, buy gear, and read twist of the wrist 1 and 2

if you've ridden before I think twist of the wrist vol 2 will give the best tips for spirited street riding you can find anywhere

Old 06-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the no helmet law is BS.
O yeah. Please government, please take away more of my freedom of choice! You can't be serious. Why would you want someone else to dictate how you live any more then they already do?

As for trail braking, this is a part of motorcycling that musantemike shouldn't be trying to learn yet. If you hit a corner too fast for your ability chances are the bike still has plenty left in it. Lean forward and into the turn, and back off the throttle slightly. Turner harder will slow the bike down by itself. At least you hit the front brakes instead of locking up the rear in the turn.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:47 AM

-O yeah. Please government, please take away more of my freedom of choice! You can't be serious. Why would you want someone else to dictate how you live any more then they already do?

Why do you have to say something like that? I work as a paramedic in Ontario, and I see the stuff a lot of people don't care to know. Sometimes the government is actually trying to help you, and by wearing a helmet, you can both save you life!, save the pain your family may go through losing you, or having to help you through the rest of your life, because of your life changing injuries. Its people like you who think that you should be able to make all your own choices and everyone else just deal with it (just thinking of yourself!) I have had a person who hit their head without a helmet on a ATV and passed away enroute to the hp. The person was an 8-yr. old who was riding with his dad on the back. I bet my life that if he gave his son a helmet for that short ride around the house, he would be living a productive life now. Think about not just yourself but the people you affect by making such a stupid decision. We as paramedics will always help to the best of our ability, but please wear your gear even if its not mandatory, you give yourself a much better chance at reducing any life changing injury. No one ever wants to experience a tragic event that could have been prevented.

-Remember its not just about you!

Old 06-06-2009, 11:30 AM

+1

Could not have said it better myself.
Should be a law in every state, I guess we'll have to wait till the motorcycle death count due to no helmet is so high that all states can't ignore it anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Almost smashed into a guard rail under heavy breaking.....