F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Almost smashed into a guard rail under heavy breaking.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 03:28 PM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero1080
Lean through it, and get off the throttle. Feels so bizarre, but just do it.
NO! Stay ON the throttle! Sport bikes handle better under throttle.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aken
NO! Stay ON the throttle! Sport bikes handle better under throttle.
+1 and LEAN!!! lol

Old 06-03-2009, 08:35 PM

Brake before the turn and approach with caution. Then there's no need to worry.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 PM

i didnt realize how much looking through the turn will actually create you to lean more and guide you through the turn. found this out after the saftey course. applyed it to my riding. feel much more confident. just gotta have the courage to trust you and the bike.

i learned a **** load from the course. even for someone riding a long time, its worth taking every few years just to keep you fresh.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:47 AM

I ran into a similar situation a few yrs ago on my old Bandit 600s. I was on a big looping entrance ramp, which I had taken many times before in my car, But I never noticed that it isnt a nice smooth, even loop. About 1/2-3/4 of the way through it it all of the sudden becomes a much sharper turn. That is one of the few times I have been scared on a bike. I remember thinking for a split second to straighten the bike out and go straight into the ditch (which had a pretty big decline)...but instead I thought "just lean as far as you can...then lean some more". I had that thing so far over on the right side I thought I was gonna loose grip and lay it down. I was riding about 2 inches from the gravel shoulder but pulled it out. I unfortunately had a passenger on board this entire time. We were both wearing protective gear and she is a great passenger...held on tight through the entire ordeal, and leaned right along with me.

I say that, to say this: LEAN!!! I have taken the MSF course and not once did I think "S#!T HIT THE BREAKS!" Just lean that thing until you just cant take it...these bikes will do ALOT more then you think they can.

And I did all this on a '96 Suzuki Bandit 600s...which as you all know isnt anywhere near as good as our F4i's.

Thats my story...The End.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Joey_f4i
Sorry for the thread jack, but

I wish they made MFS course here mandatory as well, its frightening to see 17 and 18 year old kids being bought 600 and 1000 motorbikes by their parents or themselves buying them without any riding guidance or course info.

I actually saw an older gentleman with his son (could not have been a year older than 16) buying an 08 CBR 1000RR at my local dealership. The rep took the bike outside to the parking lot, he turned it on and the kid jumped on it. He obviously did not know the first thing about riding, he turned it off at least 6 or 7 times before stuttering forward a couple of yards then killing the bike once more and then dropping it on its side.... all the father did was laugh as did the little kid.... I was very disturbed.

Heck taking the MFS course here in McAllen lowers your insurance cost, its a win win.
I honestly do not know why its not mandatory everywhere.
Jesus.

Call me an optimist, but I have a feeling it's just a matter of time before it is mandatory.

It almost seems like the next step to take, with the way bike laws have been increasing, they may as well force people (although that shouldn't be the case, but whatever) to know what they are doing, and learn what to do and what not to do.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by florida f4i
Jesus.

Call me an optimist, but I have a feeling it's just a matter of time before it is mandatory.

It almost seems like the next step to take, with the way bike laws have been increasing, they may as well force people (although that shouldn't be the case, but whatever) to know what they are doing, and learn what to do and what not to do.
already is mandatory in florida. i think they passed it a year or so ago. it used to be that if you were under 18 that you had to take it to get your license
the art of braking during a corner is a fine one that requires a lot of practice, and confidence in your tires and road surface.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Yep, mandatory in FL for your endorsement as of July 2008.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 PM

I meant mandatory around the country.

I knew it was mandatory in the state (see my previous post ), but I was just making a general comment of how I believe the other 49 states (although some others may have already made it mandatory, too) should catch up.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Oh, my bad And yeah- I totally agree. I'm all for stronger refresher courses for car drivers too.

Quick Reply: Almost smashed into a guard rail under heavy breaking.....