CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Almost smashed into a guard rail under heavy breaking..... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/almost-smashed-into-guard-rail-under-heavy-breaking-94755/)

musantemike 06-03-2009 09:04 AM

Almost smashed into a guard rail under heavy breaking.....

I was in back country stamford CT following a friend and went around a turn last night and it was sharper than i anticipated..so i layed on the brakes hard...and all the sudden my handle bars began shuddering back and forth very violently almost throwing me off the bike...luckely i got control before i hit the guard rail..with my heart in my throat. But did this happen because i braked hard while the wheel was turned...and would a steering damper or whatever its called prevent things like this from happening.

Thanks in advance ,

mike

Zero1080 06-03-2009 09:51 AM

Sounds like you were going to fast. At night. Into an unfamiliar turn. Safe. But you most likely just locked your front, and then since you turned reflexively you got the wobble.

dave ls1 06-03-2009 10:04 AM

Looks like you got into motorcycling before you knew what you were doing. Go back and take the MSF course, nail the basics, then try the CBR again. Might just save your life. And we DO want you alive and posting, not dying in a ditch on the other side of a guard rail.

And no, a damper won't help. You created a situation no artificial contraption could save you from.

jurkey77 06-03-2009 10:36 AM

I learned about situations like this in my motorcycle safety course. You should really take one. It is a life saver.

PlayfulGod 06-03-2009 10:43 AM

once you're in a turn do not hit the brakes (you just found out why not). You need to thank god you didnt slam that guard rail. you should have leaned

glad you made it out ok.

brveagle 06-03-2009 12:32 PM

I know it's easier said than done, but do not brake like that in the corner. Look through the corner. The bike will make the turn.

florida f4i 06-03-2009 12:39 PM

+1 to MSF.

I'm glad they made it mandatory now here in to get your license, like everyone else said they tell you what to do in that situation.

Be safe out there.

Zero1080 06-03-2009 02:57 PM

Lean through it, and get off the throttle. Feels so bizarre, but just do it.

phase2style 06-03-2009 03:10 PM

If you chop the throttle, won't that put unnecessary load on the front tire? I thought this was dangerous to do during a hard/fast corner?

Joey_f4i 06-03-2009 03:16 PM

Sorry for the thread jack, but

I wish they made MFS course here mandatory as well, its frightening to see 17 and 18 year old kids being bought 600 and 1000 motorbikes by their parents or themselves buying them without any riding guidance or course info.

I actually saw an older gentleman with his son (could not have been a year older than 16) buying an 08 CBR 1000RR at my local dealership. The rep took the bike outside to the parking lot, he turned it on and the kid jumped on it. He obviously did not know the first thing about riding, he turned it off at least 6 or 7 times before stuttering forward a couple of yards then killing the bike once more and then dropping it on its side.... all the father did was laugh as did the little kid.... I was very disturbed.

Heck taking the MFS course here in McAllen lowers your insurance cost, its a win win.
I honestly do not know why its not mandatory everywhere.