F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

04 Honda F4i Dual Seat Conversion Part II

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Honda F4i Dual Seat Conversion Part II

Sorry guys it took for long but here ispart II of my post concerning the Honda F4i 04 dual seat conversion.....
Let me know if it helps!

Thanks, Gary

A FEW NOTES ABOUT THE CONVERSION:

When you disassemble your 04-06 it’s a good idea as you take parts off the bike to put the hardware in separate plastic bags and label them. This way you will be able to identify where parts came from or to reuse later as you put your bike back together

Also, as you progress you will find a few problems along the way due to slight difference between 01-03 and 04-06 F4is
First is the length of the negative cable to the battery. The sides of the 01-03 undertray are higher than the 04-06. So the wire doesn’t reach properly to the negative terminal of the battery. To fix this, you will see a small drain hole at the bottom right side of the undertray. I drilled a 3/4” hole in the bottom of the undertray over this drain hole. Then routed the negative cable through this hole. It reaches the negative terminal just fine. You can plug the hole with some foam weather stripping.
Another problem is the length of the sub harness for the rear lights on the right side of the bike. It’s a little short also. I solved this by routing the sub harness along the left side of the battery box, under the starter relay switch, up and around the back of the battery tray, then along the right side of the undertray. There are two mounting post for the fuel cutoff relay and the engine stop relay. One of these cables is a little longer than the other. I mounted the one with the longer cable to the back (aft) post and then used a nylon zip tie to secure the other one to it. I left the forward post empty. This gives you enough cable to reach and plug in the harness to the tail light.

The last problem I encountered was in moving the regulator/rectifier unit. On the 04-06 it is mounted on the right side of the bike near the fuel cutoff relay and the engine stop relay. On the 01-03 it mounts on the left side. Just route the cable to the left side of the subframe to the mounting point. There is plenty of cable length. You can use the same hardware from your 04-06 . You will also notice that there’s no place to mount the ECM, engine control module, as on the 04-06. It will go on top of the battery tray compartment door. It is suppose to secure to the lid of the battery tray with a rubber strap. I couldn’t get that to work. I put an 5” long piece of 3/8” foam weather striping on the inside of the subframe next to the battery tray. When you slide in the ECM on top of the battery tray, the foam tape secures the ECM.

Hopes this helps and good luck to all!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:27 AM
Default RE: 04 Honda F4i Dual Seat Conversion Part II

looks great, and awesome details on the differences in the 2 models of bikes..

i plan on doing my conversion here pretty soon, i finally have all the parts, but i still need to get my tail painted.

now, other than all the required parts. (subframe, undertail, pegs, seats, and fairing) all the wiring will convert, and most importantly with the lock/seat latch/cable all be reusable? im just trying to collect all my parts before i start.

great job again.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:04 PM

great post, i know of a few people doing this

Old 01-17-2008, 01:57 PM

it looks good man!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:11 PM

Have a question about the rear fairing if anyone can help. I converted my 2000 F4 and when I go to put the F4i rear fairing on, the mounting holes don't line up. I slide the it into place and line up the holes for the frankenstein bolts, and the front holes on both sides are almost a half inch off.
I bought the fairing on ebay from a UK seller, are the UK F4i models different from the US models?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:38 PM

very cool, I plan to do this soon. Is there a how to somewhere that you followed to do this or does it mostly all fit together besides what you've listed?

Last edited by xjoewhitex; 03-24-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:40 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by knowephecs
Have a question about the rear fairing if anyone can help. I converted my 2000 F4 and when I go to put the F4i rear fairing on, the mounting holes don't line up. I slide the it into place and line up the holes for the frankenstein bolts, and the front holes on both sides are almost a half inch off.
I bought the fairing on ebay from a UK seller, are the UK F4i models different from the US models?
If you're talking about the F4i split seat fairing from an 01-03 model year, then the subframe is different from your F4. Unless you also replaced the subframe with an 01-03 F4i model, the fairing will not fit properly without modification.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex
very cool, I plan to do this soon. Is there a how to somewhere that you followed to do this or does it mostly all fit together besides what you've listed?
Just follow this link. It will show you what you need and how to do it from start to finish.

http://www2.hawaii.edu/%7Ekuroyana/f4imain.htm

Old 09-28-2009, 02:56 PM

What about the seat lock hardware, is that stuff reusable or do I have to get a new latch kit?

Old 09-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

latch is the same. I notice in your photos you havent changed the rear tank mounting bolts, those are different too and need swaped out too for the 01 - 03 bolts. The y help support your weight on the front of the seat

Quick Reply: 04 Honda F4i Dual Seat Conversion Part II