F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 f4i problem lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 f4i problem lol

so i am having a kind of a unique issue with my f4i. its an 01 got it with 22k at about 24k i decided to try to do a burn out lol. obviously i failed as it was my first time. but the way i did it was very bad also. i started by reving it to like 5-6k ish then slowly releasing the clutch then reving more while holding the brake. now i realize i was releasing the clutch way too slow and when i almost released it all the way the bike was still standing. i heard like a loud metal snap noise like something broke idk, it came from where the strator cover is where flywheel is and gears. but ever since then the bike doesnt pull as hard as it used to and while starting in first it doesnt grab hard at all, like i can put it in first almost release the clutch fast and the bike wouldnt die just start going when before if too fast released it would jump and stall. i would punch it in first gear and the front wouldnt come up..(48 tooth in the rear),besides it not pulling/grabbing as hard or the front coming up the bike runs fine no noises no ticking. it just feels very underpowered now. lol and before the incident it would cause i kept practising getting the front up. so i figured oh **** i ****ed the clutch. ok so i went and got an oem clutch from an 05 with 3k miles( i dont think they would be bad at that mileage) swapped it in. even though the old clutch did not look much different from the new(used) one. the funny thing is that they both looked fine. so i went and put the new one in and same problem still persists. i am out of options on what i can do and i really need all your guys help. i tried google cannot find a similar issue, tried talking to mechanics and they also cannot think of anything. i am more of a hands on guy so i want to fix this my self. any help would be greatly appreciated.!!

Old 01-15-2014, 03:23 PM

I would pull the clutch cover off and check to see how fried the clutch plates are could be that u burnt the fibers off and just need to replace the clutch keep( 80 to 100 bucks) but remember u gotta drain your oil first good luck

Old 01-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean something obviously broke or chipped, cracked, etc something to cause a hindrance. . Something also obviously is different with the operation of the engine. You said you bought an OEM clutch and you installed it. If you already examined everything inside the clutch/stator cover and you see nothing a miss, then I would be inclined to say that you damaged something a little further in the system.

First of all, no metal sounding noises moving around in the motor or clutch area? No metal fell out when you opened stator cover? Examine components with pictures of good parts and open a diagram of parts and compare for things like metal chuncks taken out and etc. Other than that man you really have to dig deeper.

What blows me away is the fact that you stated you for sure heard what sounded like a metal snap noise and no mechanic would think to tell you that its needs taken apart and examined. I mean if it made the noise that its not supposed to make and something is obviously wrong with operation, again, something got messed up.

Grab a service manual and go to town man. If not comfortable though, a reputable mechanic would have no problem taking your money and digging into the problem vs. telling you they are completely stumped....

Old 01-16-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I
I mean something obviously broke or chipped, cracked, etc something to cause a hindrance. . Something also obviously is different with the operation of the engine. You said you bought an OEM clutch and you installed it. If you already examined everything inside the clutch/stator cover and you see nothing a miss, then I would be inclined to say that you damaged something a little further in the system.

First of all, no metal sounding noises moving around in the motor or clutch area? No metal fell out when you opened stator cover? Examine components with pictures of good parts and open a diagram of parts and compare for things like metal chuncks taken out and etc. Other than that man you really have to dig deeper.

What blows me away is the fact that you stated you for sure heard what sounded like a metal snap noise and no mechanic would think to tell you that its needs taken apart and examined. I mean if it made the noise that its not supposed to make and something is obviously wrong with operation, again, something got messed up.

Grab a service manual and go to town man. If not comfortable though, a reputable mechanic would have no problem taking your money and digging into the problem vs. telling you they are completely stumped....
yes everything inside the clutch side looked fine no chips not metal chunks in the oil that was drained no metal shavings.. there is however though a weird like a needle rubbing on metal in a circle when i accelerate kinda like a snake hissing you know. but besides that its all fine. which is freakin weird. something had to of break if there was a metal snap noise but i dont think the bike would run fine you know or drive fine. a couple times it happened under heavy aceleration felt like clutch disconnected and reconnected, once it gets warmer im gonna have to pull the left side apart, the funny thing is that both new and old clutches look fine plates look fine as well. could this have something to do with flywheel/ gears? but then the acceleration would be choppy imo if something broke there.. lol this was my first bike got the 600cc experience for like a week and its been like a 400cc that can hit 160 lol

Old 01-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Welcome Crew

have you taken the clutch basket completey off as im sure there is a needle bearing at the back see pics its a possibilty it may be the bearing or one of the components behind

Attached Thumbnails 01 f4i problem lol-t2ec16hhjgye9nookqhjbsm2povom-60_35.jpg   01 f4i problem lol-2_0.png  
Old 01-17-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by wheelnut
have you taken the clutch basket completey off as im sure there is a needle bearing at the back see pics its a possibilty it may be the bearing or one of the components behind

Does not let me view the pics (
Says I don't have insuficcent privileges??? Loll

Old 01-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Welcome Crew

a few more posts and you will be out of administration, i have put them up again to see if you can see them.

Name:  2_0_zps499278d4.png
Views: 207
Size:  12.7 KB

Name:  T2eC16hHJGYE9nookQHJBSM2POvom60_35_zps33ae43ea.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  18.6 KB

if you still cant see them follow this link to the parts fishe for the clutch
2001 Honda CBR600F4i Parts, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

hope this helps

Old 01-18-2014, 02:27 PM

Oh wow that's all the way in there. I can see them Now. And know exactly where that is. Gonna take a look at it once it warms up. Thanks man for your help

Old 01-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Welcome Crew

no problem BrnRbr, glad to of helped, best of luck , let us know when your done