F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Stuck (Problem)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stuck (Problem)

Bought a 92 Honda cbr 600 f2 as a project. didnt run when i first got it. it now runs fine new clutch, new clutch cable and lever, new gas tank and hoses, new head light, new mirrors with integrated turn signals, new wiring harness, new fairing stay, new tires and sprockets, new battery, new cluster gauge. Checked all the wiring and electrical myself works well nothing is missing. Changed the oil, rode it around a few times. Now the problem comes in. I left my bike in the garage for about 3 days not hooked up to a trickle charger. turned the key in the ignition the lights were dim and it wouldn't crank over. tested the battery it was putting out about 8.2 volts which i know isnt enough to turn the bike over. So what im asking is how did my battery drain over 3 days? is this a R/R problem or could it be that the stator is bad? Also i noticed the stator was running extremely hot!!! after the bike wouldnt start on its own i jumped it and rode it around to see if it would recharge itself. when i got back home i turned it off and dead again. out on my ride i burnt the hell out of my leg because i tapped the R/R(this is when i realized it was running hot) Anyone out there that has had this problem and knows where to start would really help me out.

Thanks,
Nick

Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a multimeter to test your stator. Start the bike and check voltage and bridge all three connections. Wires 1/2 1/3 2/3. They should all be within 10% of each other. Then rev the motor while you're testing the connections and see if it ramps in voltage.

If your battery is dead for an extended amount of time, it's probably sulfated and can't be brought back unless you use a pulse charger designed to bring it back. It could be a short somewhere that caused your battery to die or it was already on its last legs and just happened to give up.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:58 PM

the battery was brand new and died 3 days after buying it. If i check the stator and the volts rise as i accelerate, where would i look next the R/R or for a short in the wiring

Old 09-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The r/r gets very hot very quickly. Its heat is disipated over the frame as its mounted to it. I would check at the connector to the r/r. I dont have your model but I`m pretty sure its under the seat(ish). Split the connector, and check for continuity between the pins on each individual plug. If you have continuity between any, depending on which end of the plug your on, this will tell you whether your attention should be directed to the r/r or stator to solve your problem. My experience has been a ground fault at the r/r pins side. By the way, sorry....before I did all of this I would put a meter across the battery before I started (or tried to) it. The voltage should drop as she turns over and then increase to over 12 volts once shes running. Best of luck mate and check on all I`ve said coz ive deffo been wrong before !!

Old 09-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be simply a matter of the battery not being charged by the charging system, but if the R/R is fried, it could be that the battery has been in turn fried as well... get the battery load tested, to see if it is still capable of holding a charge, and like already mentioned, test the R/R and stator, to see where your issue lies.

For what it's worth, the R/R is the most likely culprit - it is a common issue with these OEM R/Rs, and it's much more likely that it has failed, than the stator... you might be able to tell that the R/R is gone, by simply pulling the plug, and looking for burnt wires/connectors.

The routines in the manual for testing the R/R and stator are pretty simple - I would get the battery load tested, and then perform those tests.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:22 AM

Alright tested everything all was good so resorted to just cutting off the wire wraps and inspecting every wire for a short. Came across this wire to the r/r plug totally coroded and frayed burned electric tape. Can't post photos from phone but this looks like my problem

Old 09-06-2013, 01:23 PM

Is there a difference between the three yellow battery charging coils?

Old 09-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ones going to the RR? If so then no there is no difference