F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

rear spring???...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear spring???...

ok so im running into A drivability issue on the highway. when im driving at higher speeds ( 90mph+) i feel like im being held back....like a parachute is on my bike or something. now i kinda narrowed it down to 3 options. 1. for some reason my my throttle is letting off, ( but i watch my tach when this happens and im not dropping any) 2.being that i only weigh 135 pounds...my rear spring isnt set correctly for my weight and not channeling the weight around correctly cuz i'm such a light rider..or.. 3. it's just the wind.

might i add, this is my first bike.. so i would like some input. when im "running" it... its not constant its sparratic.. witch makes me think its the cross wind...i just dont know lol.

and help would be nice

another thing....even though my f2 is 19 years old....i know old **** can still be just as good as new bikes....so im trying to make my bike into a bitchin street machine. My motor was already rebuilt...so now im just gunna do the suspension and brakes....anybody try out that EBC 320mm conversion brake kit?

also some input on suspension would help too...
Thank you

Frank

Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 AM

Take your tank and air box off. Check for a piece of rubber the size of your airbox that separates the air box and your engine. It is a rubber heat shield. If removed your bike sucks in hot air off the engine and reduces HP in bursts, not to mention the shield helps to break down bursts of wind at higher speeds and make the air flow more consistent.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:10 PM

also check out your carbs and see how there running as well..

Old 03-21-2011, 04:16 PM

I'm not energetic enough to take a stab at what the issue your encountering is, but if you're new to going above 90mph on a bike, then it would be a blind stab anyways since your new to this all.

I do know that of all the things you can invest in on a bike, the suspension will deliver the most reward for performance and handling. While stop ligt to stoplight performance (or 1/4 mile) isn't increased, you'll be able to break later and rail turns better, keep your speed up significantly, boosting confidence, and reducing the likelyhood of your tires from kicking out from under you.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:30 PM

thanks Everybody....Dissevered i am deffinitly going to check that out because i have taken my tank/airbow off ywice and NEVER seen a rubber peice you are talking about

Old 03-21-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by CBRInfantry
thanks Everybody....Dissevered i am deffinitly going to check that out because i have taken my tank/airbow off ywice and NEVER seen a rubber peice you are talking about
Its the big piece of rubber under the coils from the steering head back to the carbs.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:33 AM

ah..... i do have that peice, but mine is all dirty and grimy...ive always wanted to take it off and clean it, but its hard to get off on the bottom

Old 03-22-2011, 02:48 PM

Woah, I've never seen that piece before and I have 2 F2's in my stable and my friends have about 4 among them!

Old 03-22-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by jtkardel
Woah, I've never seen that piece before and I have 2 F2's in my stable and my friends have about 4 among them!
Yeah, I removed the rubber piece one time thinking "oooh this will increase airflow..." wrong! lol. I felt the surging right away once I hit around 55mph

CBRinfantry:

That is the only thing I could think of based on your odd description lol. Some things you can do to check for smoothness in both your ride and rpm range is as follows... wheel bearings, wheel balance, rotor straightness, proper chain slack and no kinks, properly cleaned and tuned carbs, good spark plugs, no air leaks from airbox to exhaust, and good compression. These bikes are simple. Give those a look over and your bike should run perfect if it all checks out.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 PM

thanks man