F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Oil-drenched engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:34 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Existenz_is
But no, I want one of those blue things under his bike.
I don't have a single jack or lift :P
You mean like this.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, I listen to everything you guys say, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do anything right.

So today I put the carbs back together. I had separated them from the linkage and every time I thought I had put them back I noticed that I had forgot a spring, or an o-ring or something else. Took me like eight attempts before I got everything in. Then I loosely mounted the steering stem and triple tree just to have a look at it, I mounted the radiator and the battery box and I started with the wiring harness when I realized that the ground point for the R/R is now covered with beautiful non-conductive powder coat. No worries though, I'll just lengthen the cable and attach it to some other point.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:25 PM

Pictorial update after the fifteen hours or so of wrenching this Easter. I still haven't fired her up, because I have some wiring to do with installing my new speedometer and will go through the carbs properly too, but compared to the state my poor bike was in a couple of weeks ago, it feels good to see her again.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:35 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going along nicely How much did those bar clamps set you back? Was considering something like that myself but it would have msde the already upright front end even more so to push the shocks through.

Bet you're itching to get it back on the black already! Just fetched my summer car from my moms today after yelling profanities under it most of the easter trying to swap some suspension parts and should be getting the trumpet's fairings by the end of this week.

Btw, 1-2.8. There's a big trackday weekend @ Botniaring, Jurva. Me and missynet are probly going, it's not far from the west coast. 56km from Vaasa, 296km from Turku

Old 04-06-2015, 04:49 PM

Those clamps, together with the bar and brake hoses (they were a LSL Superbike kit), set me back like 2 500 SEK (350 dollars I reckon). Expensive as hell, but still the cheapest around with a decent delivery time (bought them during last season and wanted them ASAP). I had to get them, the clipons killed my back.

I am so eager to get out now, but fortunately I have my street legal KTM 450 EXC to ride around with, and a buddy lends me his old Yamaha XS400 to scratch the itch. Selling my EXC though, so I can afford a KTM 690. I want something with fuel injection and motored riding is FUN!

Haha, track day, you say... Maybe I should take a look at that one. I was planning to ride around Europe anyways. My mods have probably ruined all the track in her though, hehe.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Migge
Pictorial update after the fifteen hours or so of wrenching this Easter. I still haven't fired her up, because I have some wiring to do with installing my new speedometer and will go through the carbs properly too, but compared to the state my poor bike was in a couple of weeks ago, it feels good to see her again.
Very cool. It's starting too look like a bike again.

One of these days I'm going to get around to working on mine...

Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread, never noticed it before. I took my spare F3 engine apart sometime in October and left all the parts on my work bench. I recently tried to put it back together and since I didn't label or put any kind of order in the disassembly, I now have no idea were anything go. I'm probably just going to trash the engine and not deal with it since I don't think I want to spend the rest of my summer trying to figure out what go where.

When I took the engine apart I had the right tools so it basically took me a few hours to completely take the whole thing apart. The only thing I was worried about was the timing and how to degree it after I put it back together. How did you get past that obstacle?

Old 04-07-2015, 11:59 AM

Hey man, if you want you could probably mail me some pics and I could help you out in which order and how to do it. I totally understand your confusion, trust me, I was there a few weeks ago myself. I even made and still make the same mistakes of putting things back in the wrong order, only to have to it again later on.

The timing... Disclaimer: I haven't tried firing up the engine yet so I don't know if I'm on, but what I did was that I lined up the marking on the sprocket of the crankshaft (right side, the one visible when the ignition cover is removed) with the marking on the cover itself (the one visible when removing the inspection cap from the ignition cover in place. My sprocket was apparently aftermarket and lacked the marking, but fortunately for me, Phil314 posted a great pic which I used to scratch my own market in the sprocket. With that in place I installed the camshafts and cam chain, taking care to line up the markings of the shafts with the edge of the cylinder head and making sure that the camshafts were pointing in different directions. Hopefully that means the timing will be good when I try it. But of course I will let you know if all this was done in vain or not.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Migge
Hey man, if you want you could probably mail me some pics and I could help you out in which order and how to do it. I totally understand your confusion, trust me, I was there a few weeks ago myself. I even made and still make the same mistakes of putting things back in the wrong order, only to have to it again later on.

The timing... Disclaimer: I haven't tried firing up the engine yet so I don't know if I'm on, but what I did was that I lined up the marking on the sprocket of the crankshaft (right side, the one visible when the ignition cover is removed) with the marking on the cover itself (the one visible when removing the inspection cap from the ignition cover in place. My sprocket was apparently aftermarket and lacked the marking, but fortunately for me, Phil314 posted a great pic which I used to scratch my own market in the sprocket. With that in place I installed the camshafts and cam chain, taking care to line up the markings of the shafts with the edge of the cylinder head and making sure that the camshafts were pointing in different directions. Hopefully that means the timing will be good when I try it. But of course I will let you know if all this was done in vain or not.
One piece of advice if I may. If you have any doubts about the timing being correct then before you start the engine, pull the plugs and turn the engine over slowly by hand. This way you can make sure that valve aren't hitting pistons and that everything is moving freely. Without plugs the engine should rotate smoothly and without a lot of resistance.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:20 PM

Great tip, Phil! I'll definitely do that!

Quick Reply: Oil-drenched engine